• Celebrating One Year of Revival!

Come and join us in celebrating one year of GW's revival as GWF, share in some statistics and help us push towards the next twenty years! CLICK HERE

We're also looking for suggestions for another community event we can put together that we can all enjoy! Come and give us some suggestions HERE
  • Our second year of the NFL Pick 'Em is open to join now. You can join directly here and get involved in the weekly threads over in the Picks forum.

Multi Gaming Challenge Runs

I watched this video regarding playing games the "wrong way" and thought of a fun question:

What kind of challenge runs did you do for games you've played? What games did you play the "wrong way" and how did you do it?

I don't have many examples of playing games on later playthroughs with the intention of completing them in a certain way, I rarely complete games at all, much less multiple times, so this is not a common thing for me to do. But I did do it a couple times.

Bioshock and Bioshock 2. I played both games using the wrench/drill as my only weapon. I did use plasmids, because if you didn't, there's no way you're making it far (fighting the first Big Daddy in Bioschock 1 was hard enough when using plasmids, I can't imagine doing it without). I beat both games on the hardest difficulty that way. Bioshock 2 was MUCH easier simply because of a couple abilities you get with the drill that make it OP, a dash ability, and a freezing ability. The wrench run was pretty hard, and I save scummed a LOT. I also didn't make usage of the Insect Swarm plasmid because I didn't consider the fact that it was like walking around with your own little army to do all the fighting for you.

Dead Space. The base plasmid cutter is so OP that you can easily do a run with that weapon only. I did it on the hardest difficulty, starts off really difficult, but becomes total cakewalk by the end. I also attempted a melee and stomping only run, but I quickly found that it was impossible to never use a weapon.

Next time I play Fallout 3 or FNV, I intend to do a tank/big guns only run, where all of your abilities and are focused on pure strength, as opposed to speed and efficiency. That means miniguns and super sledges.

I would also like to try a racing game and finish it using only a crummy early car but upgrading it as much as possible. Like starting with the Chevy Cobalt in Need for Speed Most Wanted (the original) and never switching to another car.

I'm not one who does speed runs. Never good enough to find glitches and exploits that allow me to conduct those type of runs, and even then, I'm not interested in those type of play throughs.

Mark

Dumbass Progenitor
Administrator
GW Elder
Bioshock and Bioshock 2. I played both games using the wrench/drill as my only weapon. I did use plasmids, because if you didn't, there's no way you're making it far (fighting the first Big Daddy in Bioschock 1 was hard enough when using plasmids, I can't imagine doing it without). I beat both games on the hardest difficulty that way. Bioshock 2 was MUCH easier simply because of a couple abilities you get with the drill that make it OP, a dash ability, and a freezing ability. The wrench run was pretty hard, and I save scummed a LOT. I also didn't make usage of the Insect Swarm plasmid because I didn't consider the fact that it was like walking around with your own little army to do all the fighting for you.

I did the same with both games… both are such gratifying weapons to use in the game. I also did the same thing with Dead Island and a baseball bat.

Next time I play Fallout 3 or FNV, I intend to do a tank/big guns only run, where all of your abilities and are focused on pure strength, as opposed to speed and efficiency. That means miniguns and super sledges.

Max strength and brass knuckles/Super Sledge is also a fun challenge.

I just beat Bioshock 2 on the hardest difficulty, and if you play with vita chambers on, it's actually easy to beat. Granted, you might die numerous times to the same enemy, but the game doesn't regenerate an enemy's health when you die, so you can literally just take the half bar of health and eve that it gives you every time you come out of a vita chamber and do a bit more damage.

Still, the start of the game is really frustrating because you're super underpowered to fight both Big Daddies and Big Sisters. I probably died about 10 times to some of them, but then I breezed through the last parts of the game this morning because I had so many tonics and more powerful weapons.

Back
Top Bottom