• Celebrating One Year of Revival!

Come and join us in celebrating one year of GW's revival as GWF, share in some statistics and help us push towards the next twenty years! CLICK HERE

We're also looking for suggestions for another community event we can put together that we can all enjoy! Come and give us some suggestions HERE
  • Our second year of the NFL Pick 'Em is open to join now. You can join directly here and get involved in the weekly threads over in the Picks forum.

Industry GameSpot's video archive ("The Tapes") has been saved. Noclip creating digital backup.

Raine

Chief Liquid Officer, Shitposting Dept.
GW Elder

Word on the street seems to be that, following their acquisition by Fandom, GameSpot's archives were destined for a landfill. Jeff Gerstmann had previously convinced the higher-ups to not destroy it all, and now Danny O'dwyer and Noclip have acquired the collection for preservation. There are already some never-before-seen things uploaded, and just much higher quality uploads of more common stuff elsewhere.

A bit of a nostalgia trip, if nothing else. Most recent upload at time of posting:

Archive link: Here and Here

Last edited:

Mark

Dumbass Progenitor
Administrator
GW Elder
It’s weird that they didn’t convert their archives to begin with… Compare the scale and look at how many folks from here held on to stuff, you’d think they’d want to do the same.

Raine

GW Elder
It’s weird that they didn’t convert their archives to begin with… Compare the scale and look at how many folks from here held on to stuff, you’d think they’d want to do the same.
I'm positive the guys doing the work over the years - Jeff, Danny, Alex, et al - cared and wanted to. GiantBomb apparently archived some small portion of this years ago. But the people with the money at the top? We all know they don't care.

Can only imagine what all has been lost when other places, like GameTrailers, went under.

Raposuh

Flipwaist
GW Elder
You'd think it's weird, but it's practically tradition. For decades the BBC didn't archive any of their broadcasts, it just went out live and that was it. Things like their coverage of the moon landing, Dr who episodes, day to day news.

Mark

Dumbass Progenitor
Administrator
GW Elder
You'd think it's weird, but it's practically tradition. For decades the BBC didn't archive any of their broadcasts, it just went out live and that was it. Things like their coverage of the moon landing, Dr who episodes, day to day news.
I guess that would fall in line with what happens here in the states with the National Archive and the Smithsonian, but it still doesn’t make sense to me… but I’m also the same guy that didn’t save anything from any of the sites I opened. If it wasn’t for people here, I would have went the rest of my life forgetting little details about it, but within a week there was already a graphic from a decade-plus old forum that I had completely forgotten about til I saw it.

I guess the old man I’m becoming is just a bit more nostalgic and reminiscent than I anticipated back then.

It also makes me think of here… I hope we keep a good record of who all came back here and participated in this for the future.

Raine

GW Elder
Dude, I completely forgot about Gametrailers. One of the cool things about that site was the fanmade trailers they had. There was a Half Life 2 fanmade trailer that included Hoppipola from Sigur Ros in the trailer. It was greatness.
Happens to me all the time. I'll just randomly see something that triggers some latent memory, either remember the website immediately or scour the remnants of my memory trying to figure out WTF it was, and in both scenarios usually wind up saddened that the thing - and presumably all of its content - is long gone.

The fanmade stuff especially, because it's less likely that anyone bothered to save (and wouldn't otherwise have) a copy of that.

I caught wind amongst all this social media implosion nonsense that Google/YouTube was eyeing purging content from small(er) channels that hadn't updated in 2 or more years. If and/or when that happens, there aren't words for just how devastating that would be.

Back
Top Bottom