• Celebrating One Year of Revival!

Come and join us in celebrating one year of GW's revival as GWF, share in some statistics and help us push towards the next twenty years! CLICK HERE

We're also looking for suggestions for another community event we can put together that we can all enjoy! Come and give us some suggestions HERE

Sensitive First Presidential Debate of 2024

I haven't heard many good things about RFK Jr.

- Anti-Vaccine
- Believes anti-depression drugs are responsible for the rise in school shootings
- Believes some herbicide is responsible for making people want to switch genders
- Thinks 5G and Wifi cause cancer
- Believes the CIA killed his JFK (classic)
- Anti Abortion
- Disapproves of our involvement in the Russia/Ukraine war.
- His thoughts on how the Gaza and Ukraine situations should b e resolved are half-baked and aren't based on reality.

On the plus side:

- He wants to try to reduce student loans by allowing students to renegotiate for lower interest rates (the high interest rates are a big reason for why some people can't get out of debt)
- Wants to improve the legal immigration system and has been critical of both Trump and Biden. Thinks the wall is stupid, but also thinks lax illegal immigration enforcement is not the way.

The positives don't outweigh the negatives. RFK Jr is a delusional moron.

Sources:

Ben

Blind Guardian
Executive
GWF Sponsor
Administrator
Badministrator
GW Elder
One of the criticisms I kept hearing after his term was about his internet presence,
I generally attribute his asshole internet personality to being chaff to obfuscate the shit the truly evil people are doing behind the scenes.

Trump might be a shitty human who who respects no one but himself, not truly is the people like Steven Miller who are the danger. They're the one's actually working to dismantle the country. Trump isn't smart enough to do that by himself, but what he can do is pander to that crowd so they don't notice the other shit.

Mark

Dumbass Progenitor
Administrator
GW Elder
I generally attribute his asshole internet personality to being chaff to obfuscate the shit the truly evil people are doing behind the scenes.

Trump might be a shitty human who who respects no one but himself, not truly is the people like Steven Miller who are the danger. They're the one's actually working to dismantle the country. Trump isn't smart enough to do that by himself, but what he can do is pander to that crowd so they don't notice the other shit.

Exactly, and your experience with trolls gives you that kind of insight to even think of it that way and not have that knee-jerk reaction to treat him like the baddest motherfucker walking the planet. If more people humbled their vision of him, he would eventually have to take a step back and see that he’s not intimidating anyone with his pufferfish routine. He doesn’t need to be a dick, he chooses to, because it will illicit a reaction from people. The people in Washington have to know this, but they choose to play dumb and carry on with the same kind of fear tactics we’ve grown used to and seen escalate over the years. Fear is the greatest weapon, because when you’re scared… you’re focused on what’s scaring you, ignoring everything else around you.

Ben

Blind Guardian
Executive
GWF Sponsor
Administrator
Badministrator
GW Elder
No. It's not. A vote for Trump is a vote for Trump.
You know the point he's trying to make.

It's a stupid reality, but the way American politics has evolved does put everyone in that position. As others have more succinctly explained, the Republican party are a little more cohesive and set on their candidate, and also turn out in larger numbers than Democrats or any flavor of Independent tend to. When you've got the Republican side that could feasibly bring about the end of America giving their all to get Home Alone 2 elected, having the other half of the voting populace spreading what collective power they have across really anyone but a single candidate is severely gimping the chances that any Democrat will win.

It doesn't matter what your personal beliefs are about how you should get to vote for who you want to vote for, and how you didn't vote for Trump. In this shit-ass system that they've forged, splitting the blue vote in any way is not helpful. And this feels like the most important time to not split the vote, because the likelihood that Trump and his monstrous shadow-men are going to push to install him as a permanent fixture is high. This is how you wind up with people like Putin that cannot be dislodged and how all critics start falling out of windows. If you can look at shit like Project 2025 and think it's a risk worth taking just to flex your individuality, you're not really in it for the betterment of society.

Ranked choice voting would help. Perhaps voting on the party and less so the specific individual for president might help, but that's not where America is at right now. You've got to make sure those assholes don't seize power again, and then work on forging a system where everyone can actually vote for who they want to.

I say all this knowing I can't vote one way or the other.

Ben

Blind Guardian
Executive
GWF Sponsor
Administrator
Badministrator
GW Elder
I caught a Daily Show piece with Jon Stewart saying the DNC needs to go hard at their convention and spend the entire time actually coming up with policies that'll help Americans, seriously consider alternatives to Biden, televise the entire thing, etc. It might be the best thing possible at this point.

It's a stupid reality, but the way American politics has evolved does put everyone in that position. As others have more succinctly explained, the Republican party are a little more cohesive and set on their candidate, and also turn out in larger numbers than Democrats or any flavor of Independent tend to. When you've got the Republican side that could feasibly bring about the end of America giving their all to get Home Alone 2 elected, having the other half of the voting populace spreading what collective power they have across really anyone but a single candidate is severely gimping the chances that any Democrat will win.

It doesn't matter what your personal beliefs are about how you should get to vote for who you want to vote for, and how you didn't vote for Trump. In this shit-ass system that they've forged, splitting the blue vote in any way is not helpful. And this feels like the most important time to not split the vote, because the likelihood that Trump and his monstrous shadow-men are going to push to install him as a permanent fixture is high. This is how you wind up with people like Putin that cannot be dislodged and how all critics start falling out of windows. If you can look at shit like Project 2025 and think it's a risk worth taking just to flex your individuality, you're not really in it for the betterment of society.

Ranked choice voting would help. Perhaps voting on the party and less so the specific individual for president might help, but that's not where America is at right now. You've got to make sure those assholes don't seize power again, and then work on forging a system where everyone can actually vote for who they want to.

To kind of elaborate this maybe in a different way...

Think of the way it works like a balance scale. One of these kinds:

1720619757420.png

On the right side, say you put 100 marbles. That's going to be your static side. You can only add to it and never subtract. These are your conservatives coming out to vote no matter who the candidate is or the atmosphere around politics at the time.

On the left, you have 75 marbles. These represent the same, but on the Dem side.

Most marbles will win and there is only 100 marbles left to place.

Of the 100 marbles remaining, any that do not get used (indicating someone who does vote or voted for a third party) HURTS the left side of the scale more than the right. The left needs at LEAST 25 marbles places on their side just to pull even in balance.

Essentially, Dems start with a disadvantage in voting. And any time someone chooses to not vote, or vote third party, it makes it that much harder for the left to win.

So, yes, it's your vote, do with it as you please. Normally, this doesn't matter but for the next 4 years. But in this PARTICULAR election, the option on the right is so scary that democracy as a whole is at risk. You can't afford to lose even one single marble or you can risk so much more than who sits in the Oval Office for the next 4 years.

Ben

Blind Guardian
Executive
GWF Sponsor
Administrator
Badministrator
GW Elder
To kind of elaborate this maybe in a different way...

Think of the way it works like a balance scale. One of these kinds:

View attachment 17888

On the right side, say you put 100 marbles. That's going to be your static side. You can only add to it and never subtract. These are your conservatives coming out to vote no matter who the candidate is or the atmosphere around politics at the time.

On the left, you have 75 marbles. These represent the same, but on the Dem side.

Most marbles will win and there is only 100 marbles left to place.

Of the 100 marbles remaining, any that do not get used (indicating someone who does vote or voted for a third party) HURTS the left side of the scale more than the right. The left needs at LEAST 25 marbles places on their side just to pull even in balance.

Essentially, Dems start with a disadvantage in voting. And any time someone chooses to not vote, or vote third party, it makes it that much harder for the left to win.

So, yes, it's your vote, do with it as you please. Normally, this doesn't matter but for the next 4 years. But in this PARTICULAR election, the option on the right is so scary that democracy as a whole is at risk. You can't afford to lose even one single marble or you can risk so much more than who sits in the Oval Office for the next 4 years.
What if I have already lost my marbles?

One other thing I wanted to mention, but putting in a separate post as it's a totally different thought than marbles and election process... but also...

You can't afford to lose even one single marble
lol at myself, this was funnier than it should be.

But the leader of Hungary has now come out in FULLY support of Trump and desiring him win the election. And this should scare the shit out of each and every one of us. Not only is another world leader voicing his opinion on our leadership, but this is a man whom Trump admires because it's how Trump is planning to emulate. He's turned Hungary into an autocracy and has found a way to remain in power beyond his term. It is no surprise that it is autocrats, dictators and anti-democracy nutjobs that want Trump back in... and the American people need to destroy Trump in a landslide election no matter WHO the Dem nominee is. Even if it's a wet noodle.

Ben

Blind Guardian
Executive
GWF Sponsor
Administrator
Badministrator
GW Elder
One other thing I wanted to mention, but putting in a separate post as it's a totally different thought than marbles and election process... but also...

lol at myself, this was funnier than it should be.

But the leader of Hungary has now come out in FULLY support of Trump and desiring him win the election. And this should scare the shit out of each and every one of us. Not only is another world leader voicing his opinion on our leadership, but this is a man whom Trump admires because it's how Trump is planning to emulate. He's turned Hungary into an autocracy and has found a way to remain in power beyond his term. It is no surprise that it is autocrats, dictators and anti-democracy nutjobs that want Trump back in... and the American people need to destroy Trump in a landslide election no matter WHO the Dem nominee is. Even if it's a wet noodle.

I've long assumed that Putin and others were behind twisting Trump into what he is to begin with.

Like, yes he's always been a narcissistic rich privileged asshole, but he was best buds with Bill Clinton for a long time. Sure they probably bonded over being horrible womanizing bastards, along with their buddy Epstein, but still.

I even assume Hillary Clinton might have persuaded him to run against her assuming it'd be an easy win, that people wouldn't want to vote for the TV personality over a seasoned politician, but that Trump would get a bunch of attention from it.

Then someone (like Putin) seized that opportunity and convinced Trump that if he did win, he'd get a whole lot more attention. And now we're where we're at, with a dickhole reverting the red side of the country back to flat out fascism.

Maybe it wasn't another country's leadership, and just our own dark secret bastards, but it seems too coincidental.

Reactions: Jon

The phrase "United we stand, divided we fall" couldn't be any more true than it is in this particular scenario. By splitting the vote, we're giving into the divide and conquer strategy that's always worked well for the Conservative base.

And right now, the stakes couldn't be any higher. As much as the 2-party system sucks, it's the reality of the situation we're facing, and we just can't afford to take our chances when democracy itself is in danger.

Pro-Dem factions are astroturfing all of Reddit with stories like "WHY IS NO ONE TALKING ABOUT TRUMP BEING A RAPIST" and "WHY ISNT THE MEDIA TALKING ABOUT TRUMP'S LIES?" as if those things haven't been in the news like every single day for the past 8 years. Well, the posts are getting thousands of upvotes and clogging up the main subs, and are many auxiliary subs too.

In some brighter news, /r/NPR is having none of it. The posts are getting thousands of upvotes, but all of the users are criticizing them for being untruthful and disingenuous.

I hate that this is the state of modern politics. No actual discussion, tact, or problem solving. Just lies, manipulation, and shaming.

Mark

Dumbass Progenitor
Administrator
GW Elder
I've long assumed that Putin and others were behind twisting Trump into what he is to begin with.

Like, yes he's always been a narcissistic rich privileged asshole, but he was best buds with Bill Clinton for a long time. Sure they probably bonded over being horrible womanizing bastards, along with their buddy Epstein, but still.

I even assume Hillary Clinton might have persuaded him to run against her assuming it'd be an easy win, that people wouldn't want to vote for the TV personality over a seasoned politician, but that Trump would get a bunch of attention from it.

Then someone (like Putin) seized that opportunity and convinced Trump that if he did win, he'd get a whole lot more attention. And now we're where we're at, with a dickhole reverting the red side of the country back to flat out fascism.

Maybe it wasn't another country's leadership, and just our own dark secret bastards, but it seems too coincidental.

I’ve always looked at those kind of situations in the light of “one hand washes the other”… Think about going to a bar with a bunch of young and single dudes. What do you typically see? A bunch of bravado, co-signing, and wingmanship. If Putin boosts Trump, his hope is Trump will boost him in return, the circle-jerk continues, lather, rinse, repeat. They’re all part of an imaginary high school class that they’re rocking Letterman jackets in because of whatever compensatory measures they feel they have to take for whatever it is they’re lacking in their personal identity.

The phrase "United we stand, divided we fall" couldn't be any more true than it is in this particular scenario. By splitting the vote, we're giving into the divide and conquer strategy that's always worked well for the Conservative base.

And right now, the stakes couldn't be any higher. As much as the 2-party system sucks, it's the reality of the situation we're facing, and we just can't afford to take our chances when democracy itself is in danger.

Yeah, but this kind of shit has long been in the works in some capacity since long before idiots like Trump set their eyes on the Oval Office. The game stays the same, the players change. They just need to wake the fuck up and realize that this isn’t a game, but that likely will never happen, because politics itself has been gamed to death over the years. It’s a toy for the rich and powerful to exercise their will.

Ben

Blind Guardian
Executive
GWF Sponsor
Administrator
Badministrator
GW Elder
I’ve always looked at those kind of situations in the light of “one hand washes the other”… Think about going to a bar with a bunch of young and single dudes. What do you typically see? A bunch of bravado, co-signing, and wingmanship. If Putin boosts Trump, his hope is Trump will boost him in return, the circle-jerk continues, lather, rinse, repeat. They’re all part of an imaginary high school class that they’re rocking Letterman jackets in because of whatever compensatory measures they feel they have to take for whatever it is they’re lacking in their personal identity.
My further assumption is that those other dictatorships backing Trump are just waiting to say "Look how failed the US democracy is! Clearly we're the more stable system." just to vindicate their iron grip on their populace more.

Mark

Dumbass Progenitor
Administrator
GW Elder
My further assumption is that those other dictatorships backing Trump are just waiting to say "Look how failed the US democracy is! Clearly we're the more stable system." just to vindicate their iron grip on their populace more.

That’s also a big factor in it… let’s consider that the dick measuring aspect of a bunch of young dudes in a bar, constantly trying to one-up, and if they can’t… sabotage is on the table. Lady Liberty is getting an earful about how democracy won’t treat her right by a bunch of washed-up old men trying to prove they still have some vigor left.

Haven't read this thread yet but I thought the debate was a complete disaster. Not in the sense that like Biden LOST the debate or anything (because let's keep it real neither of them were really debating anything rather than just taking turns saying shit), but in the sense of how bad Biden looked physically. I'm definitely in the camp of people who would vote for Biden over Trump even if Biden is mentally deteriorating to a degree, but I honestly didn't think it was as bad as what the debate showed me.

I don't even know what I'd like to see happen because everything is weighed against the consequence of another Trump term but holy shit man. In no just world is Biden actually the candidate for a political party based purely on his mental and physical dexterity. If Biden was surrounded by the right people and was humble enough he would have backed out of the races a while ago to give another candidate the opportunity to make themselves known and debate Trump instead of himself.

Ben

Blind Guardian
Executive
GWF Sponsor
Administrator
Badministrator
GW Elder
Haven't read this thread yet but I thought the debate was a complete disaster. Not in the sense that like Biden LOST the debate or anything (because let's keep it real neither of them were really debating anything rather than just taking turns saying shit), but in the sense of how bad Biden looked physically. I'm definitely in the camp of people who would vote for Biden over Trump even if Biden is mentally deteriorating to a degree, but I honestly didn't think it was as bad as what the debate showed me.

I don't even know what I'd like to see happen because everything is weighed against the consequence of another Trump term but holy shit man. In no just world is Biden actually the candidate for a political party based purely on his mental and physical dexterity. If Biden was surrounded by the right people and was humble enough he would have backed out of the races a while ago to give another candidate the opportunity to make themselves known and debate Trump instead of himself.
Some of the clips in that Daily Show segment I posted above show it's not just that one occurrence, which is the troubling thing. If he was sleepy because of international travel or whatever, fine. But the "losing his train of thought mid sentence" seems to be common. I say this being a reformed stoner who certainly could forget the start of a sentence by the end of it.

I just want old people out of politics all together... The country shouldn't be run by people who were alive when racial segregation was still a thing.

Lol that resonates with me because I am a stoner and every once in a while I will lose my train of thought (specifically because it mentally handicaps you to a degree) so to see that kind of thing happening often to someone who's NOT under the influence is pretty bad. I think the arguments we saw Biden just stutter or exhibiting typical signs of aging is either flat out wrong (I have a stutter and I've seen other people with stutters, including hearing Biden himself when he was younger stuttering, and what Biden does now is not stuttering) or sort of missing the point (if you think how Biden is now is a typical state of someone his age, then we should not be considering people of this age anymore).

Reactions: Ben
George Clooney just savaged Biden in an op-ed.

"It's devastating to say it, but the Joe Biden I was with three weeks ago at the fundraiser was not the Joe 'big F-ing deal' Biden of 2010. He wasn't even the Joe Biden of 2020. He was the same man we all witnessed at the debate"

"We are not going to win with this president."

If Biden was surrounded by the right people and was humble enough he would have backed out of the races a while ago to give another candidate the opportunity to make themselves known and debate Trump instead of himself.
One thing to consider is that Biden will at least surround himself with competent (comparatively) staff that arent looking to dismantle democracy, de-fund education, take away women's rights, etc. The presidency is so much more than just one person, it is who they put around them

One thing to consider is that Biden will at least surround himself with competent (comparatively) staff that arent looking to dismantle democracy, de-fund education, take away women's rights, etc. The presidency is so much more than just one person, it is who they put around them
For sure, that's that's why I will reluctantly even vote for Biden as opposed to just not voting at all.

Ben

Blind Guardian
Executive
GWF Sponsor
Administrator
Badministrator
GW Elder
100%. A non-malicious government is better than the alternative, even if the figure-head is a farce.

Though I honestly don't know if Biden will make it 4 years, given how he's been looking. Some of the recent appearances make me question if he'll make it 4 months. But even it falling to the VP and a 'cop' like Kamala taking power would be preferable to outright violence against democracy.

It's this. Putin's goal is to kill democracy. He's stated this. Trump is a way to do this with the ICON of democracy, the US. Kill it here, and others will fall.

• Spidey Point!
MSNBC is spamming Project 2025 shit and acting like some celebrities are suddenly bring this to everyone's attention. It was John Fucking Oliver and his writer staff, not fucking Taylor Swift.

I don't care who gets credit and probably John Oliver doesnt either, this is something everyone needs to know about. If attaching Taylor Swift's name to it helps, Im all for it.

The only thing I've seen is that is more searched on google than the NFL or Taylor Swift

Ben

Blind Guardian
Executive
GWF Sponsor
Administrator
Badministrator
GW Elder
I don't care who gets credit and probably John Oliver doesnt either, this is something everyone needs to know about. If attaching Taylor Swift's name to it helps, Im all for it.

The only thing I've seen is that is more searched on google than the NFL or Taylor Swift
Yeah, at this point I don't think anyone should be worried about who gets credit for disseminating information. I have general disdain for Taylor Swift but if her clout gets anyone to listen up and realize how bad this could go, then leverage the shit out of that.

It's this. Putin's goal is to kill democracy. He's stated this. Trump is a way to do this with the ICON of democracy, the US. Kill it here, and others will fall.
I think that's exactly why NATO are freaking out. Forget just Ukraine being fucked if this comes to pass, literally everyone has a judgement day on the horizon.

And I again wouldn't be surprised if after pushing to install a dictator in the US government, either Russia or China (or North Korea) nukes us as a "preemptive measure to stop another World War." If the US is already burning itself down from the inside, we're probably not focused on stopping external threats like normal.

I also saw an article in passing stating that New York is polling more like a battleground state, and not the deep blue it's been for 20-25 years. That is fucked up. People, like the President, are going to take that shit for granted and not put any effort in to convincing voters and it could backfire badly.

And I again wouldn't be surprised if after pushing to install a dictator in the US government, either Russia or China (or North Korea) nukes us as a "preemptive measure to stop another World War." If the US is already burning itself down from the inside, we're probably not focused on stopping external threats like normal.
Not to mention that Trump wants the US out of things like NATO and wasn't to ignore the world outside the borders he wants to be dictator of.

Ben

Blind Guardian
Executive
GWF Sponsor
Administrator
Badministrator
GW Elder
Not to mention that Trump wants the US out of things like NATO and wasn't to ignore the world outside the borders he wants to be dictator of.
I mean, I guess that's slightly better than getting nuked so we don't fuck up the rest of the world, but it's still a grim future for those countries who are currently our allies.

Maybe framing things as "If you fuck this up and let Trump get elected, the only gaming console you'll have access to is Xbox. Goodbye Nintendo/Sony." would shift some voters into action. That's a horrid future.

(Yes for the sake of my argument I'm ignoring PC gaming. Shh.)

• Haha

Ben

Blind Guardian
Executive
GWF Sponsor
Administrator
Badministrator
GW Elder
Last edited:
  • You Sure About That?
I hate that this is the state of modern politics. No actual discussion, tact, or problem solving. Just lies, manipulation, and shaming.
💯

I've actually felt this way for a while. I wish elections could just simply be each candidate lists what their policies and plans are, and people just vote on that. Do away with multi-million dollar campaigns entirely. Too bad it's nowhere near possible.

And you're surprised by this?
God no, but given that the country's (and world's) attention is fixed on him more than ever it's extra embarrassing.

Even here in the UK the blow-by-blow of Biden's last few hours is the top story.

Thought that was supposed to be at 6:30..?

But that's also not a great look regardless of schedule...
That's the press conference at 6:30. This was him at a NATO event. And he was on the teleprompter...

• Respect

Ben

Blind Guardian
Executive
GWF Sponsor
Administrator
Badministrator
GW Elder
God no, but given that the country's (and world's) attention is fixed on him more than ever it's extra embarrassing.

Even here in the UK the blow-by-blow of Biden's last few hours is the top story.

That's the press conference at 6:30. This was him at a NATO event. And he was on the teleprompter...
Eeesh. Daily Show showed plenty of clips of him reading the teleprompter prompts literally... "quote -- end quote", "pause", etc.

Ben

Blind Guardian
Executive
GWF Sponsor
Administrator
Badministrator
GW Elder
They're almost an hour over when they were supposed to start this. I put my son to bed and read him 3 stories in the time it's taken then to play the offbrand Star Wars soundtrack twice...

Gotta be doing serious damage control.

... Brain damage control.

My god that answer about consequences to China for their indirect support of Russa was so bad.... The last 10 minutes have been a disaster. He's rambling with 80 thoughts instead of getting one cohesive one. The answer doesn't even matter. Just stop talking about this question. Move on.

You can tell he's just fading.

• He's Not Wrong
Back
Top Bottom