• Celebrating One Year of Revival!

Come and join us in celebrating one year of GW's revival as GWF, share in some statistics and help us push towards the next twenty years! CLICK HERE

We're also looking for suggestions for another community event we can put together that we can all enjoy! Come and give us some suggestions HERE
  • Our second year of the NFL Pick 'Em is open to join now. You can join directly here and get involved in the weekly threads over in the Picks forum.

Nintendo Finally a New 2D Zelda! The Legend of Zelda: Echoes of Wisdom

Smacktard

Connoisseur of fine video games
GWF Sponsor
GW Elder
I love BotW and TotK especially, but I also love (good) 2D Zeldas. I can't wait to play this game. It looks fantastic. I love the idea of puzzles that have more than one solution. I hope it's used to good effect through.

I wish they'd used a different art style for this game. I liked LA's art style because it was unique. Anyway, I hope they fixed the performance issues from LA.

I love BotW and TotK especially, but I also love (good) 2D Zeldas.
3d Zelda for me is too long. 20ish hrs is the sweet Spot for me for games without a good a story

I wish they'd used a different art style for this game. I liked LA's art style because it was unique. Anyway, I hope they fixed the performance issues from LA.

Yeah, its okay, I actually think Link Between Worlds looks better

Ben

Blind Guardian
Executive
GWF Sponsor
Administrator
Badministrator
GW Elder
Not really 2D if being pedantic, so much as isometric. Still cool and nostalgic, especially with Zelda. I'm not really a huge fan of the super chibi style either, but I think these ones have always been targeted towards the younger fans.

And lol a Zelda game where Zelda IS the main character? About time. (Disclaimer; I cannot recall if there were any previous games where she was the playable one... I don't think so but maybe.)

3d Zelda for me is too long. 20ish hrs is the sweet Spot for me for games without a good a story
I'd also argue against BOTW and TOTK [not having] a good story. Those were pretty deep storylines. But I also think the exploration and sheer vastness of non-linear choice was what those games were trying to offer, not so much just the story. I know I spent exponentially more time in TOTK just fucking with Zonai devices building different shit as opposed to actually progressing the story, but I think that was the point. It was basically Zelda-themed Garry's Mod and I loved it.

And lol a Zelda game where Zelda IS the main character? About time. (Disclaimer; I cannot recall if there were any previous games where she was the playable one... I don't think so but maybe.)
CDi had one
I'd also argue against BOTW and TOTK [not having] a good story. Those were pretty deep storylines. But I also think the exploration and sheer vastness of non-linear choice was what those games were trying to offer, not so much just the story.
We'll have to agree to disagree. BOTW did not catch my interest, felt like every other Zelda story. I will admit I haven't played TOTK

Ben

Blind Guardian
Executive
GWF Sponsor
Administrator
Badministrator
GW Elder
We'll have to agree to disagree. BOTW did not catch my interest, felt like every other Zelda story. I will admit I haven't played TOTK
Without including the TOTK part of the story, I could see that being way more valid. TOTK had the story, and the fun building mechanics. BOTW was just different and fresh as a true open-world non-linear RPG, but the entire premise of the Divine Beasts, Ganon taking over Hyrule castle and Zelda holding him back, etc... Yeah, kinda meh.

But TOTK's story gets deep and way more involved. Assuming you've managed to avoid spoilers for the plot online in the time it's been out, I'd say it's got the potential to actually surprise you with some "Oh, shit" moments.

Smacktard

Connoisseur of fine video games
GWF Sponsor
GW Elder
I personally really enjoyed BotW's story. The characters felt a lot more real and genuine than other Zelda games up until that point (since after the N64 era, at least). I liked the way the story was delivered, too, non-linearly, although I wish some of the photo spots were a bit easier to identify.

Last edited:

shortkut

idea man
Cuterator
10K Post Club
Executive
GW Elder
All of that said, I get why you might not be into TotK and BotW. Some games feel too big for their own good, and I often wish that the games industry would get comfortable with trimming the fat and selling shorter but more rich and focused experiences.
But then how can they justify the price if they don’t mention >500 hours total gameplay

Back
Top Bottom