Multi Final Fantasy XIV | "Growing Light" Patch 6.58

Reckon I'll flesh out an opening post over time as we approach FanFest (July 28th) and I have to start paying attention again anyway. But for now, just something quick and dirty to prop up.

I've seen it mentioned once or twice since last week, but has anyone recently played or is actively playing the game?

Kind of just hammering out what I want to do here. Will probably change things up a bunch as I go.

Before You Start

Is FFXIV for me?
Good question! XIV is a WoW-inspired, themepark MMO. It works on a 2.5 second Global Cooldown (GCD), which means it's kind of slower paced. As classes level, however, they obtain skills and abilities not beholden to this 2.5 second window, thus allowing for the down time to be utilized and fill in gaps. Combined with static, highly choreographed fight design there's usually a button to press or somewhere you need to move in more strenuous content types.

XIV incorporates a lot of easter eggs and references to past entries in the Final Fantasy series, as well as other Square IPs such as NieR and Tactics Ogre, however no prior experience with any of this is required. The game is also notoriously newbie-friendly, some may say excessively so, and there are a variety of options for approaching most of the game solo if you prefer. Priority #1 for this game has been its story, with the MMO portion being a distant second. The quality of said story is subjective, of course, but the Heavensward (HW) and Shadowbringers (ShB) expansions are both well-regarded by the playerbase.

Free Trial or Full Game?
If the above description didn't really help, no worries! XIV offers a very generous Free Trial, available for both PlayStation and PC. This Free Trial will allow you to play all content released for A Realm Reborn (ARR) and Heavensward (HW), which is to say everything from lv1 to lv60, without paying. There is no time limit so if you are so inclined you can level every job available. Please note that once you register any paid subscription the Free Trial is no longer available, this cannot be reverted, and you will have to pay the monthly fee to play again on that account. Please also note that once you register a Windows or Steam key the other type can never be used (and all purchased expansions must match), and the Square Enix ID cannot easily, if ever, be unlinked from your PSN ID or Steam account.

It is strongly advised, despite some of the harsh limitations placed on Free Trial accounts, to play through the entirety of ARR and HW before making any purchases and/or registering any codes. It is generally accepted that if you do not enjoy the story by the end of HW, nothing that comes after will change this opinion. With the various changes and reworks over the years, lv60 gameplay is not particularly indicative of what a job will look like at lv90 (Ver 6.0) or lv100 (Ver 7.0). However, the basic ideas are present and should be enough to form an opinion with.

The following terms and conditions apply to players who use the Free Trial (“Free Trial Players”):
  • Free Trial Players are not required to purchase licensed software to use the Free Trial.
  • One (1) Free Trial account may be registered to a Square Enix account so long as that Square Enix account has not been previously registered with any version of the game.
  • Free Trial Players can purchase select in-game items from the FINAL FANTASY® XIV Online Store during the Free Trial. Not all in-game items are available for purchase by Free Trial Players (e.g., in-game item gift codes).
  • Free Trial Players can create up to eight (8) playable characters, restricted to one (1) playable character per World.
  • Free Trial account characters have all their levels capped at level sixty (60).
  • Free Trial account characters can possess a maximum of 300,000 gil (in-game currency).
  • Free Trial Players cannot use the "shout," "yell," or "tell" in-game chat options during the Free Trial.
  • Free Trial Players cannot access the in-game market board during the Free Trial.
  • Free Trial Players cannot trade with other players during the Free Trial.
  • Free Trial Players cannot send in-game letters using the moogle delivery service during the Free Trial.
  • Free Trial Players cannot hire retainers during the Free Trial.
  • Free Trial Players can join a Linkshell or Cross-World Linkshell if invited but cannot create a new Linkshell or Cross-World Linkshell during the Free Trial.
  • Free Trial Players cannot create or join a Free Company during the Free Trial.
  • Free Trial Players can join a party if invited or by using the Duty Finder but cannot assemble a party during the Free Trial.
  • Free Trial Players cannot create or join a PvP team or participate in The Feast (Ranked Match) or The Feast (Team Ranked Match) during the Free Trial.
  • Free Trial Players cannot log into the Lodestone, the official forum, or Companion application during the Free Trial.
Links
Free Trial website (For Windows)
Free Trial on Steam
Free Trial on PlayStation

Choosing a Data Center and Home World
If you're intent on joining up, your next step is to figure out where you're heading. There are several considerations at play here, and they will significantly impact your enjoyment and ability to play.

First up are the Data Centers. These are the top layer hubs, each assigned to one of four regions of the real world. All Data Centers in each region are located in the same physical location, so unfortunately there is no method for playing with people residing in North America as an Australian and not getting horrible, potentially game-breaking latency. Because all four NA Data Centers are located in California. The four regions are:

North America is split into 4 Data Centers: Aether, Crystal, Dynamis and Primal
Europe is split into 2 Data Centers: Chaos and Light
Japan is split into 4 Data Centers: Elemental, Gaia, Mana and Meteor
Oceania has only 1 Data Center: Materia

Each Data Center is then further split into Worlds. As an example, Aether in North America has 8 worlds: Adamantoise, Cactuar, Faerie, Gilgamesh, Jenova, Midgardsormr, Sargatanas and Siren. Any character on any of those 8 Worlds can move quickly and easily, in most scenarios, between any of the other 7 Worlds.. Characters on Aether, with a little more of a time commitment, can also travel to any world on Crystal, Dynamis or Primal. They can not, at present, travel to the European, Japanese or Oceanian Data Centers.

The World a character is created on is considered their Home World. Characters can only join Free Companies (Guilds) that are on their Home World, can only speak in LinkShells (private group chat channel) while on Home World that LinkShell is designated for, and can only use Cross-World LinkShells assigned to the Data Center for their Home World. Other restrictions apply, such as only being able to attend in-game weddings on the Home World or only being able to purchase and share plots of land for housing on their Home World.

Changing your Home World is possible, but outside of very specific and unique circumstances will cost real money. For this reason, before starting, figure out where your friends are and do your best to get onto the same Home World as them if possible. Due to balancing concerns the developers often have periods of time wherein the creation of new characters on certain worlds is not possible. This tends to ebb and flow throughout the day and unless a hard moratorium has been put in place you can usually snag a spot very late at night or very early in the morning. The link below can assist you in this endeavor.

Links
World (Server) Status
Server Classifications

Content Skip options
Now that you're ready to start a brand new, shiny character we have to address this. Content Skips for XIV are available in two forms:

Level Skips automatically boost the desired job to lv80. It does not skip any of the main story, but does mark Class and Job quests as completed.
Story Skips automatically put you at the end of Shadowbringers/start of Endwalker. It does not bestow any Experience Points, nor does it remove a lot of the locks that are placed on content.

If this is your first character, it is strongly encouraged that you do not use these. Even if you don't care about the story it's still recommended that you simply skip cutscenes while being taught how the game works instead of paying to bypass it all.​

Getting Started

Choosing a Race
XIV has 8 Races in total, with 2 of them (Viera and Hrothgar) not being selectable options while on the Free Trial. If you would like to create a Viera or a Hrothgar, I would encourage you to finish Heavensward (HW) first and then purchase a Fantasia for $10. You will spend much less money that way.

Races technically have pros and cons in terms of stats, however, they're so insignificant that they never have and never will matter. Feel free to choose whichever one best suits your tastes, and allow me to warn you up front that XIV expects you to only use one character for every job. Doing multiple characters is a nightmare of working through the mandatory story quests multiple times and staying on top of any number of daily and weekly tasks on each character. You will burn out.

Choosing a Role/Class
XIV strictly adheres to the Holy Trinity concept. There are tank jobs, there a healer jobs and there are strictly damage dealing jobs. There is little if any crossover between roles at any period of time, and concepts such as Buffing, Debuffing, Crowd Control, Stunning and Kiting are virtually nonexistent. There is no such thing as a "support" job; even if you're a healer, your job is designed first and foremost to deal damage, you just happen to have spammable buttons that restore HP. All jobs within a role play fairly similarly and, particularly at endgame, are designed with a 2-minute cooldown rotation in mind. With that out of the way,

Tank classes available at the start are Gladiator (Paladin) and Marauder (Warrior). Gladiators use swords and shields, Marauders use two-handed battleaxes. All tank-centric actions are shared. Paladins have a lot of great defensive options, Warriors literally heal themselves by bathing in the blood of their enemies. Once you're lv50 and have reached the Heavensward expansion you can acquire the Dark Knight job, which is a bit of a glass cannon until much higher levels. At lv60 you can unlock Gunbreaker, which is a highly offensive-oriented tank loosely based on characters from FF8 and FF13.
Healer doesn't get variety to start with. If you wish to start as a healer, you have to roll Conjurer (White Mage). The second healer is available once you get Arcanist, a DPS job, to lv30. Doing so unlocks Summoner (DPS) and Scholar (Healer). White Mage leans more towards being a Regen/Heal-over-Time job, Scholar leans more towards preventing damage through the use of shields. At lv50 and after arriving in Heavensward content you can unlock Astrologian, the second Regen/HoT-leaning healer. Reaching lv70 allows you to unlock the last and newest healer, Sage, which is the second shield-leaning job.
DPS jobs come in a variety of flavors. There are 4 melee jobs, 3 ranged jobs and 3 caster jobs.
  • Melee starting options are Pugilist (Monk) and Lancer (Dragoon). Both are fairly straightforward, though at present Monk has more positional requirements to maximize damage. At lv10 and with access to the Nation-State of Limsa Lominsa you can unlock Rogue (Ninja). At lv50, after clearing the base story for A Realm Reborn, you can unlock Samurai. Ninja is a very fast job similar to Monk, but it sort of tries to juggle two rotations simultaneously. Samurai is known as a "selfish" DPS, in that it offers very little in the way of party synergy and instead focuses on very powerful hits.
  • Ranged has only a single starting option in the form of Archer (Bard). Bard may give you the illusion that this is a support job; it is not. It's functionally just an Archer/Ranger from beginning to end. It has almost complete freedom to move where it wants, has a very straightforward rotation and is generally a decent choice for completely new players. At lv50 with access to Heavensward areas you can unlock Machinist, which is the "selfish" ranged DPS. At lv60 you can unlock the final ranged job, Dancer. Dancers use an ability to partner with another party member, giving them various personal boosts to increase their damage. The Dancer itself is more complicated than the other two, similar to Ninja, but when not playing at a high level is pretty easy to grasp.
  • Caster has two starting options: Thaumaturge (Black Mage) and Arcanist (Summoner). Black Mage is the selfish caster; the only one that does not get access to a reviving spell, and is in many ways a turret. Its singular desire is to sit still as long as possible lobbing out Fire spells (XIV does not have elemental weaknesses), which means it's easier to use after you're already familiar with the fight. Summoner is a very easy job in its current iteration, summoning smaller versions of some of the, well, iconic Summon (/Primal/Esper) monsters such as Ifrit and Titan. At lv50 with completion of the base A Realm Reborn story you can unlock Red Mage, which serves as one of the only jobs that keeps a consistent and coherent (and easy) rotation in all content at all levels. Blue Mage exists, but it's not a "real" job and is functionally an expansive minigame.

Control options
This is a game that involves simultaneously dodging and hitting buttons for attacks, so it's of utmost importance that you feel extremely comfortable with your input method. You functionally have 3 options: A controller, a keyboard, or mouse and keyboard combo. They all have unique pros and cons, and you may wish to give them each a whirl to see what works best for you. With your device chosen, you'll then want to choose between "Standard" and "Legacy" options. I personally use Legacy Type. Here are some screencaps of my settings to give you an idea of where to start.

Untitled.png Untitled2.png Untitled3.png
Untitled4.png Untitled5.png Untitled6.png
Untitled7.png Untitled8.png Untitled10.png
Untitled11.png Untitled12.png Untitled13.png
Untitled14.png Untitled15.png Untitled16.png
Untitled17.png Untitled18.png Untitled19.png
Untitled20.png Untitled21.png Untitled22.png
Untitled23.png Untitled9.png

Setting up your HUD

ffxiv_07182023_204447_536.png
ffxiv_07182023_204647_143.png

• Setting up your (Cross) Hotbars
  • Miscellaneous settings

Introduction

Introduction
  • Gameplay progression
  • Mechanic types
  • Things to pick up ASAP
  • Types of instanced content

Advanced

• Leveling extra jobs, crafters and gatherers
  • Maximizing EXP
  • Gearing efficiently
  • The gulf between normal content and EX Primals
  • The gulf between EX Primals and Savage Raids
  • Ultimates, the end of the line

Last edited:
Personally been kicking around since March 2015, drifting to and from content types on whims to pass the time with my partner. Recently lost the houses I've been squatting babysitting for almost as long (Christmas 2015), so that probably speaks to how little I've felt the desire to play Endwalker content - and the likelihood that I'll pay my sub with any degree of regularity henceforth. But I've genuinely attempted, if not finished, damn near everything the game has to offer. I have the 730 days of /playtime as proof of my ability to AFK shame.

This is me (formerly Darrc Feilyon), on Aether DC:

And on Crystal DC, spun up just to play with sparksmf and Rick52 prior to datacenter travel being a thing:

Last edited:

Raposuh

Flipwaist
GW Elder
I've always wanted to play, but never had a computer strong enough or a Playstation for it. Every so often they claim they'll be working on a Xbox port, just to get my hopes up.

Yeah, I don't know what's going on with the Xbox port exactly. It's been teased as something both Microsoft and Square want to do, and without any of the dumb policies that originally kept it from happening. I do know the XIV team is basically in shambles though because XIV itself is suffering hardcore due to lack of resources across the board, so it might literally be a function of if Microsoft wants it they have to use their own developers to get it done.

With the graphical update for the game coming with 7.0/the next expansion, I would personally say that if the Xbox version doesn't show up at Tokyo Game Show/PAX or during one of the three XIV FanFests, it's not happening. It's now or never.

Fire Queen

official GWF wolfmistress (sometimes) | she/they
GW Elder
was going to make a FFXIV thread myself but it makes sense you beat me to it lol

i've only been playing for a couple years and i've only been ACTIVELY playing for less than that. i'm still piddling my way through SHB (at the Titania trial currently) but i'm having a fun time!

profile.png

got my ass kicked healing for a Pharos Sirius run with some friends yesterday. my main is SMN but i recently picked up SGE and have been having a lovely time

i didn't know Rick52 played! do you know if he's still active? would love to reconnect with him

Ah, Pharos Sirius. That's always a fun time. Who would think a momma bird would get a little enraged when you break her eggs?

Popped onto Crystal DC. Rick's at least signed in since the last maintenance for patch, but I couldn't speak to whether he's super active or not. Will forward details in a moment.

Crafting just makes everything so much more tolerable. Melding and repairing your own gear really need to just, y'know, be available to everyone.

I stopped doing the Tomestone gear (aside from the last per expansion, to use as leveling fodder for the next expansion) in the middle of Stormblood and have basically just rolled around in penta-melded crafted (and augmented crafted) combat gear for everything since. Makes the rest of the relevant content - Normal Raids, Alliance Raids, EX Roulette, EX Primals - far less appealing, outside of glamour options, but... yeah. Gear needs a rethink. :tease

Op19

GW Elder
I've been playing since 2019 I love the game, though the content drought over the past year or so has been killer for me. I'm killing time by making replaying the MSQ right now with my alt. Here are my boys. Hyped for Fanfest and to get a look at the next expac.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230716-062504_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20230716-062504_Samsung Internet.jpg
    140.6 KB · Views: 4
  • Screenshot_20230716-062457_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20230716-062457_Samsung Internet.jpg
    133.7 KB · Views: 4

Rachel

The Other Rachel
GW Elder
Would anyone be interested in forming a GW Free Company? My sub is paused but I've never been able to get in with a permanent, good FC. Several times playing I lamented at GW being gone, I feel like in its heyday we probably would have formed something.

Rick and I can help with a lot of things, and there are still a lot of things I have left to do. Haven't done any of the towers yet. Need to finish the Endwalker Raids and start the Alliance Raids.

Op19

GW Elder
My main and alt are both in FCs already, though I'm really the only one active in the FC we made for our alts on Maduin. If anyone wants to join us though we'd be happy to have you. We have a Discord where we chit chat with one another, its LGBTQ friendly, we have some raiders including myself but we're definitely more "casual" in general. Sometimes we do maps together and run roulettes. The main FC is on Famfrit/Primal and the alt FC is on Maduin/Dynamis

Would anyone be interested in forming a GW Free Company? My sub is paused but I've never been able to get in with a permanent, good FC. Several times playing I lamented at GW being gone, I feel like in its heyday we probably would have formed something.

Rick and I can help with a lot of things, and there are still a lot of things I have left to do. Haven't done any of the towers yet. Need to finish the Endwalker Raids and start the Alliance Raids.
FCs are probably a bit too restrictive, since they require being on the same Home World. Cross-world LinkShells are a little better, but still restrict to same Home Data Center.

I've been in a personal FC for about 5 years now, just doing whatever communicating I need through LS, /tell and party. Before that, I joined one of the older and larger FCs on Faerie. It was honestly basically a revolving door of faces because people were constantly quitting/going on months-long breaks. Got pretty tired of constantly trying to make new friends and just pulled the plug. :chuckle

That all being said, I have the character on Diabolos if you want to try setting something up. Otherwise, my Faerie character is at most 2 hours from being set up to do any sort of on-content shenanigans. Have only done the first tier of the EW Normal raids and the first EW Alliance raid so far due to lack of interest, but everything before EW is unlocked and I still remember relevant mechanics and such.

Patch 6.45 released today.
  • New Variant ("Mount Rokkon") and Criterion ("Another Mount Rokkon," Normal & Savage) Dungeons
  • New Hildibrand episode and corresponding upgrade for the Relic (Manderville) weapon
  • New upgrade available for Relic (Splendorous) DoH/L tools
  • BLU level cap increased to 80. 20 new Spells, new Job Quests and Masked Carnival battles
  • Usual misc. additions: Hairstyles, emotes, minions, mounts, fashion accessories, Triple Triad opponents & cards

Eight weeks between 6.4 and 6.45. 6.5 should be on track for September 12th.

Monthly fee notwithstanding, I always encourage people to just take their time. My experience has been that, prior to getting caught up, you enjoy the game more. And then as you start checking those boxes - "clear the story," "level one job in each role," "level crafters and gatherers," "level all jobs" - you're more prone to burning out with the next expansion as there's not a whole lot to do on-content and your content backlog is greatly diminished.

Without having played it I feel that something like WoW works in reverse based on people's expectations for XIV, where the endgame is supposed to be the point. But for better or worse XIV has never really had an endgame.

New news, new thread. Will request a merger in a week or so.

Spoiler Consideration: While you may watch this generally spoiler-free, there is a Shadowbringers (5.0) character spoiler included. It is sort of unavoidable in all post-5.0 media.

You can view a clipped preview of the graphical update here, spoiler free:

Things that I have gathered from running between the usual sources.
  • Dawntrail will be taking us to (at least) The New World, as most have guessed.
  • Level cap is being increased to 100.
  • 2 new jobs, both are DPS. Melee (safe money: Scouting) and Caster. The obligatory t-shirt hint is TMNT Mutant Mayhem.
  • As of Patch 6.5, the Free Trial will now include Stormblood. This means, prior to registering, new players can do the entirety of the base game and first two expansions at no charge.
  • Some (most?) gear will be able to support 2 dyes, using separate dye channels.
  • Eyeglasses will be made available independent of traditional headpiece gear. So you can wear glasses and a hat/mask.
  • There's a cross-promotional thing with Fall Guys starting August 22nd.
  • It's in the title, but yes, XIV is coming to Xbox.
Las Vegas (FanFest #1) Livestream VOD Link

London FanFest

• New melee DPS announced as "Viper," which will use the Scouting gearset as predicted. Job is ostensibly loosely based on FF9's Zidane, which is to say this is Thief (THF).
  • 7.X's Alliance Raid series will be an homage of some sort to Final Fantasy XI, titled "Echoes of Vana'diel." No details whatsoever.
  • New Limited Job announced to be coming, no details whatsoever. 99.9% chance this will either be Beastmaster (BST) or Puppermaster (PUP).
  • ...I'm not kidding when I say that's basically it barring being shown snippets of areas, concept art and brief looks at the graphical "overhaul"

London (FanFest #2) Livestream VOD Link
Official website for the expansion

Last edited:

Rachel

The Other Rachel
GW Elder
HOW IS HE DOING THIS

HE JUST DID THE TOUR FOR XVI

HE IS NOT HUMAN

BUSINESS UNIT III IS NOT HUMAN

I will admit, I would have died or otherwise thrown in the towel ages ago. They've been doing this for almost 11 straight years at this point.

I piss and moan about the lack of content depth, and the rigidity of the content cycle, but - obviously - I know better than most that COVID completely removed their development buffer.

Will screencap the shirt in a moment.

My assumption, based on literally nothing, is that we're looking at Thief (Scouting) and Green Mage (Caster) if it's a combined hint shirt. However, Gunbreaker was a new job and they've expressed interest in doing more original things so... who knows!

Edit: I mean something to do with Art could be valid too, of course. I'm just not putting any super in-depth thought into it, certainly not going to the depths required to figure out Spider-Man = Sam Raimi = Samurai. 🤣

Rachel

The Other Rachel
GW Elder
jesus here I was thinking they were going to introduce some sort of cool turtle race

That's uh a much better guess, they might not call it that though

Rachel

The Other Rachel
GW Elder
Yeah when I say introduce I mean like how there is both Viera and the bunny moon people but only one is the playable race, I think there could be a cool turtle race but maybe that is just me and when I almost made one for DnD

I think they're super tapped out on that, though what exactly they've done behind the scenes with the graphical overhaul may be a factor. Actually doing the sensible thing and having dye channels is already huge, plus they worked out how to give us two headpieces. So... progress!

But for now, the EU Fan Fest should show us female Hrothgar and that's "the end" of racial additions. I'm really, really hoping they're allowed to look like actual beasts and not gravure models with cat ears. Now with More Height™.

Yes I'm still salty about Yoshi's nonsense, and the concept art for Au Ra that made the ladies look cool as hell. Instead of the dimorphism crap we got. WHY DO THEY STAND LIKE THAT, RACHEL. IT LOOKS SO AWKWARD AND UNCOMFORTABLE AND MY BACK HURTS JUST LOOKING?!

Rachel

The Other Rachel
GW Elder
Okay now I want to make my comments about the rest of the stuff

Why does only Derplander age

Why do the twins never age, they should age (I know why they don't age)

Why is Gra the food person, why did they do that to him

For some reason the graphical update isn't doing anything for me, not sure anyone else?

I think it's weird Bahamut carries you in a chair

Yes on the ilvl cheese update

I think we should get a GW group together for the alliance raid or anything else

Also I think we should just have a single FFXIV thread

Warp I enjoy your salt, meanwhile my problem has always been how do they sleep, or smooch even

This actually reminds me of DA's Qunari, the first playable didn't have horns because they couldn't figure out how to do that with helmets, then they retconned it so that actually rarely a Qunari is born without horns and that subset are canonically revered

Aging is just so weird in games period, y'know? Like any time the subject comes up I'm instantly teleported back to like 2009, with Assassin's Creed II. You play as Ezio from a strapping teenage boy to a refined elderly gentleman... And, uh, basically all that happens is 1) he grows a mustache and slight facial stubble for his late 20s 2) grows a full beard for his like 40s and 3) is slightly - and uniformly - gray in his 60s. Like goddamn do I want those genes. 🤣

But time is weird in XIV, period. Like I think canonically everything that has happened to date has actually occurred within the span of like a year or something? So you've witnessed the deaths of good friends, (5.0 spoiler) had parts of your own soul murdered and had a jovial banquet all possibly within the same day!

Why do the twins never age, they should age (I know why they don't age)
The idea of Estinien-sized Alphinaud weirds me out.

Why is Gra the food person, why did they do that to him
They went way too hard into the "good boy" schtick with him in Endwalker. I'm sure it's some fandom reference or something, like how they keep bringing up the low-poly grapes.

For some reason the graphical update isn't doing anything for me, not sure anyone else?
I'm actually shockingly disappointed with what they're doing. I thought they were, y'know, actually rebuilding stuff. But no, they're essentially mostly throwing in stuff like ray-tracing and AI-driven foliage creation and calling it a day.

The lighting doesn't look right in a lot of what they showed. And the character models are, for the most part, slightly less texture-messy. This is not, say, PSO2 -> PSO2:NGS like I thought. They aren't actually heavily investing in this for the future as far as I can tell right now. So, I'm not entirely clear on why this is happening besides the very obvious Microsoft money hat (which, funny enough, may have also happened with FFXI ~17 years ago).

Yes on the ilvl cheese update
The community is going to be shocked how often they still wind up in LotA and ST, I feel. Cheesing the ilvl guarantees that person gets only those two as options, but the instance was created and started populating because Crystal Tower is the only MSQ-required Alliance Raid series, there are always magnitudes more new players than old players (especially with the Free Trial), and even just 1 person having a lv50~59 job they're trying to level guarantees WoD is the highest they can get.

They'll be revisiting this concern real, real quick. Just like they had to with Main Scenario Roulette. :chuckle

I think we should get a GW group together for the alliance raid or anything else
I'm game, just need to hammer out timing. I am more than comfortable playing multiple jobs in every role. :)

Also I think we should just have a single FFXIV thread
Yeah I just wanted to get the Dawntrail stuff out separate from everything else. I might have to do the thing so it can be easily managed since this is going to drag on for another 6 months...

Warp I enjoy your salt, meanwhile my problem has always been how do they sleep, or smooch even
...These are probably questions better left unanswered. Do we actually want the answers to these questions? :paranoid

I remember someone once asked Yoko Taro if the androids were anatomically correct. The answer was... very on brand.

yokotaro.png

Arca Jeth

GW Elder
FFXIV is weird for me. I've played it for years but with Endwalker I just can't get into it anymore. It feels like it's finally passed the point where it's aged a bit too much for me.

FFXIV is weird for me. I've played it for years but with Endwalker I just can't get into it anymore. It feels like it's finally passed the point where it's aged a bit too much for me.
Mmhm. It started falling apart for me with Stormblood, but Endwalker is honestly just - depending on interest levels going in - "bad" or "disappointing." (6.0 spoiler) I still don't understand why Elidibus and Zodiark were shitcanned so quickly with minimal fanfare.

Dawntrail is so very obviously not going to change anything with regards to content types, release schedule or design philosophy. That, combined with functionally starting over with a new story, means I'm at least morbidly curious to see what happens with subscription numbers.

I'll be resuming inflicting self-harm thanks to this Xbox announcement, and I'm sure both Rachel and myself will happily bitch up a storm in the other thread with you about theming, narrative inconsistencies and shortfalls, plus what they got right, if you're so inclined. 😂

Rachel

The Other Rachel
GW Elder
Okay I have some time to think about it and there is no way it is the surface level hint, no way it is green mage unless the definition of what that class is is something completely different from what I know about it. They are removing the dots, no way they have a dot class.

Here is what I am thinking: it's either a Pirate/Corsair job (Isle of Tortuga), or it's a scouting class that has four things that help you for different effects. Some kind of new class. I don't think this means four different actual weapons you can buy, just something I can't fully picture right now. Like how Machinist has the gun but also flamethrower, drill, robot, etc etc. That's my guess and someone can quote me later lol.

And by someone I mean Warp because only we care about this shit lmao

I'm actually shockingly disappointed with what they're doing. I thought they were, y'know, actually rebuilding stuff. But no, they're essentially mostly throwing in stuff like ray-tracing and AI-driven foliage creation and calling it a day.

The lighting doesn't look right in a lot of what they showed. And the character models are, for the most part, slightly less texture-messy. This is not, say, PSO2 -> PSO2:NGS like I thought. They aren't actually heavily investing in this for the future as far as I can tell right now. So, I'm not entirely clear on why this is happening besides the very obvious Microsoft money hat (which, funny enough, may have also happened with FFXI ~17 years ago).

Yes I think that is a good summary of what I was seeing and feeling. Well, they probably couldn't do much more than that considering all the projects to juggle. At least, that is what I'll think for now.

And actually in that video you showed, I was fine with the armor...until they got to the face. It still looks like (in today's standards) shit! Was that the default, that was basically WoL, the same guy as the trailer? lol! The faces are probably where I would love to see the most updates. It's the place you probably pay the most attention to, the area you zoom into a moderate level.

I'm game, just need to hammer out timing. I am more than comfortable playing multiple jobs in every role.
Ugh, I have no idea when. I am waiting for Baldur's Gate 3. At this point might be best to get together sometime before the next expansion.

I'm not sure if this will help but at least they wrapped up a few plot points that have been going on for years now with Endwalker and this new expansion is something in a new direction.

RE Your spoiler Warp - they tried to do too many things. I think they should have had this past expansion be about the Empire, but they also really needed to wrap up the overarching villains story. I think I've said this to you before.

Not strictly related to anything or an attempt to debunk or whatever, just a stream of consciousness kinda deal working out where my head's at lol. But:

The strangest thing about the DoTs is that they both are and aren't, and there's no rhyme or reason for it. Popular sentiment on social media is that it's bad/boring gameplay and that's what caused the shift, but they were actually shying away from them because a hard cap actually exists within the game. The number is 30, I think, at which point bosses - and characters - can no longer attain new status (de)buffs. This was extraordinarily bad in HW where all of the healers had DoTs (especially SCH), most of the melee had DoTs, and BRD and SMN 1) had multiple DoTs and 2) were literally worthless without having them active. In very specific situations this could cause problems in 8-man instances, but was extraordinarily common and problematic in Alliance Raids and hunts.

So like, in Stormblood they removed things like Fracture from WAR and Phlebotomize from DRG, but they added Samurai at the same time and gave it Higanbana (which it still has). Shadowbringers added Gunbreaker, and it has Sonic Break and Lightning Shot. Endwalker brought in Reaper, it functionally needs to keep Shadow of Death on the enemy/boss at all times. So... yeah, what the deuce are you doing, Square? lol

Anyway!

I doubt if it's Green Mage it'll be anything at all like the Tactics A2 job, since XIV doesn't have proper buffing (see: Bard) or debuffing (see: Red Mage) to begin with. But the thing it does have going for it is that it uses Maces and Clubs, which is a weapon type that XIV (post-ARR) isn't using yet. And, really, the weapon type thing has been the problem for a while now and something we're still waiting for them to address.

It's kind of why we now have a Scythe job, and that took the form of a second Dark Knight. Which leads me to the second consideration - Final Fantasy XI. XIV started life as an expansion for that game, way back when it was known by the codename Rapture, and it's why a lot of 1.0's non-technical shenanigans (like not having male Miqo'te or female Highlanders*) are the way they are. So it's also important to consider how XI's jobs have - and haven't - been brought over to XIV.

Thief is the most noticeable. It's the only job of XI's original six - the others being Warrior, Monk, White Mage, Black Mage and Red Mage - that isn't in the game. It's sort of there in the form of Rogue, but, that doesn't count. Thief and Dancer were also the only two jobs that could really fit the concept of Scouting - DEX-based, ostensibly melee-type DPS - and one of those went the ranged DPS route. If they aren't abolishing Scouting as one of the 7 gear sets (and I would prefer they did, TBH), then... Thief. Thief's Artifact Armor was also green! :chuckle

The two issues combined also cause problems for Pirate or Corsair, which people have been requesting for a while. Pirate is part of XIV's Warrior already, although we don't have a job that wields single-handed axes (which, ostensibly, is being reserved for Beastmaster). Corsair, meanwhile, existed in XI - and has already shown up! But it was split into two jobs: Astrologian (the RNG-oriented buffs, albeit cards instead of dice) and Machinist (the, uh... the gun... lol).

* This is why Minfilia and Lyse are Highlanders in name, but use Midlander bodies. They were both characters in 1.0, and for consistency (I guess?) their models weren't updated for the launch of ARR. Which may or may not also be a factor in why (4.0 spoiler) one is dead and the other was basically removed from the roster even though it makes absolutely zero sense for her to have the new position.

Here is what I am thinking: it's either a Pirate/Corsair job (Isle of Tortuga), or it's a scouting class that has four things that help you for different effects. Some kind of new class. I don't think this means four different actual weapons you can buy, just something I can't fully picture right now. Like how Machinist has the gun but also flamethrower, drill, robot, etc etc. That's my guess and someone can quote me later lol.

And by someone I mean Warp because only we care about this shit lmao
Pretty much! 😂

I think I might be warming to the also-blatantly-obvious artist allusion for the Caster job. Something loosely based on VI's Relm and her Sketch ability, similar to how Gunbreaker is loosely based on Squall, Seifer and Lightning. Would keep with their kinda-sorta 1 traditional and 1 "unique" (lolRPR tho) approach.

And actually in that video you showed, I was fine with the armor...until they got to the face. It still looks like (in today's standards) shit! Was that the default, that was basically WoL, the same guy as the trailer? lol! The faces are probably where I would love to see the most updates. It's the place you probably pay the most attention to, the area you zoom into a moderate level.
They keep saying things like it's not practical to bring it in line with current AAA games, and like... yeah no shit. But at the same time, there's an enormous difference between what XIV looks like in the update and what similarly large games look like. I mean PSO2NGS has plenty of problems, but looking good isn't one of them. It also just runs fucking circles around XIV in terms of character customization, especially with things like actually changing the height of your character when wearing higher heeled footwear instead of shortening the leg:

Ugh, I have no idea when. I am waiting for Baldur's Gate 3. At this point might be best to get together sometime before the next expansion.
Sometime within the next year? Yes, I think I can plan around that. ;)

Whenever is fine though, I'm just tinkering around with Xbox games, doing random stuff here on GWF and will probably start whipping up a to-do list for the aforementioned XIV Xbox achievements.

RE Your spoiler Warp - they tried to do too many things. I think they should have had this past expansion be about the Empire, but they also really needed to wrap up the overarching villains story. I think I've said this to you before.
Yuuup. SB, ShB and EW were all handled so poorly. SB was bad because it tried to do two continents at once, ShB was honestly just a side-story and EW rushed everything and quite frankly ruined it all. For all the teasing they did, they should have committed to us fighting the Empire in SB and then entering and dealing with Garlemald in alternate-ShB. They could've done ShB as 6.0, 7.0 could be finishing with the Ascians and Zodiark, and 8.0 could be this Dawntrail stuff. Just do Doma as the patch story for alternate-ShB or just officially have made that part of the Return to Ivalice stuff.

Lots of options instead of what they ultimately did. Which is why it's more frustrating than anything else.

Rachel

The Other Rachel
GW Elder
Warp, I don't understand why people are so focused on trying to guess an existing class that we know about. Green Mage, Geomancer, Corsair, Beastmaster. I am placing my bet that it is a new thing. Like think Sage. Yeah the name has existed but not anything like what it is. They have said this is the direction they are taking so I see no hard rule for 1 trad 1 new.

Thinking about it, without looking at their picture three of the four turtle weapons haven't been used. Four if you want to extend that to double swords without it being too ninja or sam. Like we have spear, but what about a cool polearm? That could absolutely be a scouting class. (I don't think this is what it is, just observing that the photo right there gives you three different weapons).

(I guess a problem with a polearm is it might not offer enough variety for different designs)

Edit: I guess the red one's weapons are probably too similar to ninja

And yeah, that was my thought already about the Pirate class. We already have gambler, a gunner, and a pirate-lite marauder. But, I guess though we have cards, we don't have dice. Could be something new that works. If it's the WoL he looks very...I dunno, rogue sea-faring person.

I didn't realize the other shirt was also a hint, thought they were just promoting merch.

Also, I forgot to comment that I don't know why all of a sudden Square is into "leather straps across the chest" for their men but I am here for it lmao

Also also where is Zero

Plz Zero

Warp, I don't understand why people are so focused on trying to guess an existing class that we know about. Green Mage, Geomancer, Corsair, Beastmaster. I am placing my bet that it is a new thing. Like think Sage. Yeah the name has existed but not anything like what it is. They have said this is the direction they are taking so I see no hard rule for 1 trad 1 new.
Square themselves aren't really helping, to be fair. Beastmaster (BST) and Puppetmaster (PUP) were name-dropped by Yoshida as possible future Limited Jobs, back when they were announcing/detailing Blue Mage. And they doubled down on BST with the Bozja content, where one of the NPCs/enemies is specifically one of them.

Geomancers (GEO) also already exist within the lore; one appears in the Stormblood (IIRC) job quests for WHM (or maybe AST? Fuzzy on the details first thing in the morning lol).

I think it's just easier to speculate about things that already exist, instead of trying to workshop something that's probably not going to happen. In my own head canon, back in SB, the leaks for BLU and GNB would've been part of a singular job - effectively a Garlean Mage, using something like Ceruleum-infused Magitek to augment/compensate for their lack of innate magical ability. But alas. :tease

Thinking about it, without looking at their picture three of the four turtle weapons haven't been used. Four if you want to extend that to double swords without it being too ninja or sam. Like we have spear, but what about a cool polearm? That could absolutely be a scouting class. (I don't think this is what it is, just observing that the photo right there gives you three different weapons).
Yeah, that's another aspect of the problem. DRG technically uses "polearms," which theoretically includes spears, tridents, naginatas and simple bo staves. When they announced DNC they said their weapon was technically just anything that is traditionally thrown, but to date all they have are ring or semi-circle chakrams (and not very many in total, which still irritates me).

I didn't realize the other shirt was also a hint, thought they were just promoting merch.
I think it is, yeah. Though there will be a second hint shirt at the EU Fan Fest in October.

Also, I forgot to comment that I don't know why all of a sudden Square is into "leather straps across the chest" for their men but I am here for it lma
Oh noo. Belts are out, straps are in huh? 😂

Rachel

The Other Rachel
GW Elder
I can see a Corsair having two swords in the form of cutlasses/scimitars/sabers. Looking close at the second shirt I'm not getting much from it. Getting some oracle vibes. The painter is a good guess because TMNT have artist names and it's a unique weapon. I am having a hard time picturing whatever animation and battle moves would come of that. The WoL is definitely one of the new classes so this could be a hint for both.

What is a strap but a chest-belt?
I would attempt to Google a reverse Lulu, but I fear what my coworkers may think if, like, Conan-but-more-stupid crops up. 😂

I'm sure it's out there, though!

The painter is a good guess because TMNT have artist names and it's a unique weapon. I am having a hard time picturing whatever animation and battle moves would come of that.
What we would want: Something elegant, like Yuna's sending dance.
What we would get: That doofus from Naruto. :cautious:

I honestly would've thought BLU would end up with the double sword, since that's kind of its schtick in XI. Or ended up being, at any rate. But yeah, a sword in each hand or the obligatory "double-saber" - the thing games love to do where they duct tape the butts of two swords together for Cool Factor - will probably crop up at some point.

I just don't know what my actual interpretation of "Scouting" even is, outside of the obvious and already present spy/ninja. Which is a big part of why I'm more in favor of deleting that gearset and tossing NIN onto Striking or Maiming. Maybe something like a Ranger (RNG) would have fit, but again that's also technically present through Archer/Bard and Machinist. :chuckle

Not strictly related to the game, but, there is no doubt a plethora of talented people in the XIV community, Final Fantasy community and nerd community at large. Which, more than anything, is why I get so flustered with Square. :bah

I noticed:
Skar is someone I've been listening to for a couple of years now, very talented.
Ariah is someone I just recently stumbled upon, who has an absolutely amazing voice.

I don't think any of the pieces would individually work with anything else available, but I am nevertheless disappointed to see full bodysuit announcements post-Fan Fest.

Shouldn't be terribly long now until the end-of-patch Itinerant Moogle event is unveiled. I'll update and post the spreadsheet that I've maintained for those goodies over the last 3~4 years when it is.

If you're lapsed, this would be a great time to fire it up and catch up on story. Moonfire Faire as noted above starts tonight/tomorrow morning, and this will also cover the first couple days of the Itinerant Moogle/Moogle Trove event that allegedly starts on the 27th if you time it well.

Speaking of the Moogle event, those files got added in yesterday's patch and were subsequently datamined. All of the EX Primal mounts (wolves) from Stormblood are available at once, and one of the Shadowbringers mounts (wyvern/dragon) - Titania's, specifically - is available for the first time.

(v-- Very, very large --v)
moogle_trove_0823.jpg

Oh... did I? Yeah, I totally lied then! :rofl

I blame XI, really. You can't even play that game "seriously" without multiple Wiki tabs open and cataloging the phat loots and stats in spreadsheets. :paranoid

onedrive_sheets.jpg

I have a tendency to do something like this, too, when it's time to make money or catch up on gear:

xiv_market.jpg

Which... not entirely sure why everything is still so expensive. I have like 85m and could just cough up the Gil for materials for ~14 sets, but I'm thinking I'll just wait until 6.5 drops and do shield turn-ins for the Augmented Diadochos gear instead. Just killed an asston of braincells running around gathering Triple Triad cards and unlocking and starting up Island Sanctuary, anyway. :chuckle

Okay, this is actually cool. Would have fully expected something like this to wind up on the Mog Station, even though it's technically a reskin (or more precisely, we've gotten reskins of this until now).

(The Binding Coil of Bahamut spoiler) This is not how people expected to mount Louisoux lol

Previously posted extra large spreadsheet screencap should be accurate, will do the thing and attach another capture here after dinner. smaller screengrab below.

ffxiv_itinerant_moogle_tenfold_pagentry.jpg

Last edited:
Don't see any real reason this slipped(?) to October, but curious to see whether it's the 2nd/3rd or the 9th/10th.

Article:
Coming Early October 2023
New to Patch 6.5
  • Main Scenario Quests - Growing Light
  • New Alliance Raid Dungeon - Myths of the Realm, Part 3: Thaleia
  • New Dungeon - The Lunar Subterrane
  • New Trial - The Abyssal Fracture
  • New Unreal Trial - The Singularity Reactor (Unreal)
  • Additional Duty Support
  • New Custom Deliveries - Margrat
  • Xbox Version Open Beta Testing
  • Expanded Free Trial/Starter Edition
  • Island Sanctuary Updates
  • New PvP Gear
  • New Mounts, Minions, and Emotes
  • New Fashion Accessories

1-ish month later
  • New Variant Dungeon - Aloalo Island (Patch 6.51)
  • New Criterion Dungeon - Another Aloalo Island/Another Aloalo Island (Savage) (Patch 6.51)
  • Tool Enhancement Quests - Splendorous Tools (Patch 6.51)
  • Crystalline Conflict - New Arena (Patch 6.51)

1-ish month after 6.51
  • Tataru's Grand Endeavor (Patch 6.55)
  • Somehow Further Hildibrand Adventures (Patch 6.55)
  • Weapon Enhancement Quests - Manderville Weapons (Patch 6.55)
  • Endwalker Tribal Alliance Quests (Patch 6.55)
  • FFXIV & Fall Guys Collaboration (Patch 6.5x)

Back
Top Bottom