• Celebrating One Year of Revival!

Come and join us in celebrating one year of GW's revival as GWF, share in some statistics and help us push towards the next twenty years! CLICK HERE

We're also looking for suggestions for another community event we can put together that we can all enjoy! Come and give us some suggestions HERE
  • Our second year of the NFL Pick 'Em is open to join now. You can join directly here and get involved in the weekly threads over in the Picks forum.

Facebook dumpster fire

Smacktard

Connoisseur of fine video games
GWF Sponsor
GW Elder
I've seen a rising trend in videos on Facebook of people "rescuing" animals. They have tens of thousands of likes and interactions, and it's quite obvious that many of these animals were abused or put in painful and dangerous situations so that the person filming can pretend to save them, all in order to collect likes online.

One particularly disgusting example I saw today involved a mere PUPPY that had fresh asphalt poured over it so that it was stuck to the road. Luckily, this specific example had a lot of people commenting that it was animal abuse, but I reported it, and Facebook took no action to remove it. I ALWAYS report videos like this, and Facebook NEVER removes them. It's so fucking disgusting and cruel and awful. Really, something needs to be done about it

...but I have no idea what, exactly, to do, other than to complain on a resurrected nintendo 64 internet forum for boomers

Fuck Facebook.

Mark

Dumbass Progenitor
Administrator
GW Elder
I've seen a rising trend in videos on Facebook of people "rescuing" animals. They have tens of thousands of likes and interactions, and it's quite obvious that many of these animals were abused or put in painful and dangerous situations so that the person filming can pretend to save them, all in order to collect likes online.

One particularly disgusting example I saw today involved a mere PUPPY that had fresh asphalt poured over it so that it was stuck to the road. Luckily, this specific example had a lot of people commenting that it was animal abuse, but I reported it, and Facebook took no action to remove it. I ALWAYS report videos like this, and Facebook NEVER removes them. It's so fucking disgusting and cruel and awful. Really, something needs to be done about it

...but I have no idea what, exactly, to do, other than to complain on a resurrected nintendo 64 internet forum for boomers

Fuck Facebook.

Spam right/left-leaning comments on the video, it’ll get taken down in no time. Seriously. I’ve seen it done within other scenarios. All you have to do is make the stupid algorithm think it’s a political post with enough engagement to cause a blip on the radar and *poof* suddenly it gets the right kind of attention.

Smacktard

GWF Sponsor
GW Elder
Spam right/left-leaning comments on the video, it’ll get taken down in no time. Seriously. I’ve seen it done within other scenarios. All you have to do is make the stupid algorithm think it’s a political post with enough engagement to cause a blip on the radar and *poof* suddenly it gets the right kind of attention.
Interesting approach! I feel like it'd be pissing into an ocean of piss when there's already a few thousand comments saying things like "Nice!" or "*heart emoji*

Mark

Dumbass Progenitor
Administrator
GW Elder
Interesting approach! I feel like it'd be pissing into an ocean of piss when there's already a few thousand comments saying things like "Nice!" or "*heart emoji*

It works best with a few people going back and forth, which shouldn’t be hard to do. A single account isn’t going to generate much, but if you can get a few people rolling… it’s certainly possible.

For reference:

Crystal

Formerly Apollo
Administrator
GW Elder
One particularly disgusting example I saw today involved a mere PUPPY that had fresh asphalt poured over it so that it was stuck to the road
What. The. Fuck?

I hate social media.

other than to complain on a resurrected nintendo 64 internet forum for boomers
Excuse me? We're all just kids here.

30 Rock Fellow Kids GIF by Peacock

i deactivated facebook long ago because it was always trending towards this. they are not incentivized to take down videos like this specifically because they engender so much discussion and views and eyes because as long as those eyes can look at an ad, that's all they care about. it is the direction every single social media site has gone because selling user data and ads is the only way to run a profit on a platform with tens if not hundreds of millions of users. idk how many if you ever knew about cohost but they recently shut down because they were hemorrhaging money since they refused to either sell user data or run ads. good for them, it's a shame it happened, but it further underscores that social media cannot exist without turning a blind eye to anything that could potentially result in less money flowing into their coffers

Smacktard

GWF Sponsor
GW Elder
i deactivated facebook long ago because it was always trending towards this. they are not incentivized to take down videos like this specifically because they engender so much discussion and views and eyes because as long as those eyes can look at an ad, that's all they care about. it is the direction every single social media site has gone because selling user data and ads is the only way to run a profit on a platform with tens if not hundreds of millions of users. idk how many if you ever knew about cohost but they recently shut down because they were hemorrhaging money since they refused to either sell user data or run ads. good for them, it's a shame it happened, but it further underscores that social media cannot exist without turning a blind eye to anything that could potentially result in less money flowing into their coffers
This is exactly why we need government to step in and write legislation forbidding this sort of exploitation.

why are you on facebook
It's what my friends use to scheduled big get togethers and I like seeing their pictures of their kids, for the most part I haven't seen what was described by the op it's mostly just cute animal videos

I also get a lot of good memes, I have pretty much defriended or hidden anyone that has crazy right wing views so I don't see that

Also recipes

Last edited:

Mark

Dumbass Progenitor
Administrator
GW Elder
It's what my friends use to scheduled big get togethers and I like seeing their pictures of their kids, for the most part I haven't seen what was described by the op it's mostly just animal videos

I also get a lot of food memes, I have pretty much defriended or hidden anyone that has crazy right wing views so I don't see that

If you’re selective enough about your feed and your friends, you can still get a little sliver of social media out of Facebook. The problem these days is the ads, you have to vigilantly remove the spam ones only leaving the relevant ones so there’s something for FB to generate revenue still, because you’re still going to get ads… may as well curate them. For example, of all the people I know, I only have about 180 friends on my profile. As soon as you start getting into the hundreds or thousands of friends, heavy engagement, etc., that’s when you’re subject to the shitstorm everyone else is referring to.

If you’re selective enough about your feed and your friends, you can still get a little sliver of social media out of Facebook. The problem these days is the ads, you have to vigilantly remove the spam ones only leaving the relevant ones so there’s something for FB to generate revenue still, because you’re still going to get ads… may as well curate them. For example, of all the people I know, I only have about 180 friends on my profile. As soon as you start getting into the hundreds or thousands of friends, heavy engagement, etc., that’s when you’re subject to the shitstorm everyone else is referring to.

Yeah I just dont engage with political stuff and just hide it all, hell I mark pretty much every right wing stuff as disinformation because 99.9% of the time it is

What annoys me is there are now ads in my notification page, and when I click on a comment in a group, at the bottom are a bunch of "other members in this group are in this group" buttons so its easy to accidentally join

But I also am in book groups, hiking groups, local food groups, and funny meme groups, so it is pretty curated to what I like. The ads have gotten worse as in the posts that look like a friend, but its some influencer's page but overall I still get a lot of joy out of it because I just avoid the toxic stuff and have hidden it so much since 2016

Mark

Dumbass Progenitor
Administrator
GW Elder
Yeah I just dont engage with political stuff and just hide it all, hell I mark pretty much every right wing stuff as disinformation because 99.9% of the time it is

What annoys me is there are now ads in my notification page, and when I click on a comment in a group, at the bottom are a bunch of "other members in this group are in this group" buttons so its easy to accidentally join

But I also am in book groups, hiking groups, local food groups, and funny meme groups, so it is pretty curated to what I like. The ads have gotten worse as in the posts that look like a friend, but its some influencer's page but overall I still get a lot of joy out of it because I just avoid the toxic stuff and have hidden it so much since 2016

You gotta be careful exclusively blocking one side, too, because there’s a whooole thing with flagging right-wing as left and vice-versa to inject stories into newsfeeds. Half of that war with disinformation started with incorrectly labeling content so it got to the wrong audience to trigger them. I’ve messed around with deliberately blocking specific content over the years, and the only time I’ve been “satisfied” with my work was when I blocked all political content. It reduced the feed to breaking news, weather alerts, and whatever bullshit my friends posted.

Ben

Blind Guardian
Executive
GWF Sponsor
Administrator
Badministrator
GW Elder
I only have 74 friends on Facebook total, with probably only 10 of them being men, so there's a general queer/poly/feminist slant to my friend list.

So my feed is honestly pretty tolerable. It's mostly nerdy stuff, and when it does serve me ads they're generally gadgets or movie related things. I never get served this fucked up right-wing/shock content mentioned.

I haven't posted anything on Facebook since like November, and would have deleted it entirely if it wasn't the only way I stay connected with my mum. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Smacktard

GWF Sponsor
GW Elder
You gotta be careful exclusively blocking one side, too, because there’s a whooole thing with flagging right-wing as left and vice-versa to inject stories into newsfeeds. Half of that war with disinformation started with incorrectly labeling content so it got to the wrong audience to trigger them
First time I'm hearing of this tactic. Unreal.

Mark

Dumbass Progenitor
Administrator
GW Elder
First time I'm hearing of this tactic. Unreal.

It’s algorithm-driven, dude. During the George Floyd protests, there were a bunch of live-streamers getting shadow banned only for them to create new accounts over and over. After a while, those streamers became targets of cop-lovers because somehow their protest live stream documentation ended up on their feeds on the same social media network that can “hear” you mention crab rangoon and feed you sponsored content for it moments later.

I prefer the thrill of getting banned for using the laughing emoji when someone quotes you (eBay buy it now price)*2

I stay away from that platform for that reason. I tried to buy replacement parts for a 20+ year old guitar on there, and, yeah… just like you’d expect.

Back
Top Bottom