• Celebrating One Year of Revival!

Come and join us in celebrating one year of GW's revival as GWF, share in some statistics and help us push towards the next twenty years! CLICK HERE

We're also looking for suggestions for another community event we can put together that we can all enjoy! Come and give us some suggestions HERE
  • Our second year of the NFL Pick 'Em is open to join now. You can join directly here and get involved in the weekly threads over in the Picks forum.

Multi Do you still game? If so what?

aiat_gamer

GW Elder
1 Year Old Poster
It might be weird to ask a bunch of nerds who somehow found and came back to a gaming forum, but are you still a gamer? Are games your main passion?

I have to say I am still 100% into games and never stopped. Fortunately my parents stopped bugging me about it once I got my doctoral degree so they finally agreed it was not affecting my studies!

As to what I play, my mains are indie games as well as some AAA and AA games. For example I played Cyberpunk 2077 for like 5 hours and stopped, but I loved Return to Obra Din.
I also have a small group of friends and we got together to game online since Overwarch came out. We are still going strong, playing all things from Hunt Showdown to Fortnite and even Coop games like Deep Rock Galactic or Demonologist aka the other phasmophobia.

I prefer story based games, so mostly play rpgs

I'll pick up the occasional action/platformer in between as long as its not too long 10-25 hrs for me is the sweet spot for those type of games. So I'll never play a 3d zelda again, or if I do, I just stop after 10-15 hrs.

I dont get to play as much due to work and kid, but that is okay, I have found myself reading a lot more

turkey

gobble gobble
GW Elder
I didn’t play much outside of wii sports/misc wii and older games and replaying psx FFs sporadically until the world ended and I got a switchlite.

I don’t have a lot of free time but I’ve been using more of that to game a bit. I usually don’t get the tv so the handheld is clutch.

Gaming has always been one of my biggest hobbies, but there was a period where I didn't play much, if at all. My first job out of school was really demanding, and even in the slower times, I didn't do a ton of gaming. I worked there until a few months before COVID hit, so I started getting back into things around 2020.

I don't have a particular genre or type of game I favour, but I find myself drawn towards bigger games that I missed over the years. Even when I was gaming, there were tons of series that I missed like Bioshock, Mass Effect, Dragon Age, etc. I haven't played all of these yet, but this is the type of stuff I like to play. I have pretty basic gaming tastes, so even for new releases, I tend to buy the big single-player experiences (Horizon, God of War, Demon's Souls, etc.) over Indies or multiplayer games.

aiat_gamer

GW Elder
1 Year Old Poster
I prefer story based games, so mostly play rpgs

I'll pick up the occasional action/platformer in between as long as its not too long 10-25 hrs for me is the sweet spot for those type of games. So I'll never play a 3d zelda again, or if I do, I just stop after 10-15 hrs.

I dont get to play as much due to work and kid, but that is okay, I have found myself reading a lot more
ahh dude, I remeber you, what is up?
Yeah I assume kid would make little time for games, even the two dogs we have take lots of time so kid would be full time job.
I used to read a lot, but I switched to Audiobooks to save time.

ahh dude, I remeber you, what is up?
Yeah I assume kid would make little time for games, even the two dogs we have take lots of time so kid would be full time job.
I used to read a lot, but I switched to Audiobooks to save time.

I love audiobooks and they help me a lot, I jump back and forth between audiobook and physical book

Back in the day, I used to play a lot of Unreal Tournament 2004, Team Fortress 2, and Left 4 Dead. I was in a gaming clan on ventrilo and everything.

I got back into PC gaming in 2016. Overwatch, Diablo III , PUBG. Built a new desktop in 2017. There's no going back now. No kids and a PC gamer fiance who works in IT.

My most played game is Escape from Tarkov. 2800+ hours. When it wipes (twice a year) I disappear for a month into the obsession. I love a good FPS game, and nothing scratches the survival extract looter shooter itch like Tarkov. There's no game like it. I play it and other games with friends on discord voice chat.

I also have a Nintendo Switch.

aiat_gamer

GW Elder
1 Year Old Poster
I really, really have to play Return to Obra Din. So many people recommend it and I know I'm gunna love it. I just kinda wish I knew what I was getting into without watching any YT spoiler videos.
The premise is pretty basic. People have died, you see their last moment and have to deduce who they are and how they died. In the process, you will uncover a pretty grim and cool story.
If you enjoyed that, I highly suggest The Case of Golden Idol as well (the dude who made Obra Din suggested it!). Has similar premise and I loved it.
My most played game is Escape from Tarkov. 2800+ hours. When it wipes (twice a year) I disappear for a month into the obsession. I love a good FPS game, and nothing scratches the survival extract looter shooter itch like Tarkov. There's no game like it. I play it and other games with friends on discord voice chat.
I tried that a bit, did not like it as much as I like Hunt Showdown. I like how Hunt has actual objective and it can be much more intense but not too involved.

Crystal

Formerly Apollo
Administrator
GW Elder
I guess I'm a super casual gamer now. As much as I wish I could game 24/7 it just isn't in the cards, so I game when I can and play mostly games in my backlog since I can't exactly afford new games atm. So I play a lot of Civ, a lot Forza Horizona 5, a lot of Switch games, and...well...that's kind of it just now.

The amount I play is dwindling, but I still get a bit in. I mostly have been playing Overwatch and Hearthstone, OW play has decreased a lot.

It was about time to update the computer, but as I felt I was decreasing the amount I played, I got a PS5 instead, cause it felt better for more casual playing and I think it'd be easier to influence my kid into playing etc if I do it outside of the office. On that I play Fortnite with some real life pals (I don't actually overly enjoy it, but it's fun to play with friends and I am shit with a controller), and am playing Final Fantasy on it too.

Got a Switch as well, where I'm playing TotK and the Advanced Wars Reboot.

The most prominent thing was I got super addicted to Destiny/Destiny 2 from 2015 until the end of 2020 when they sunset all the weapons I liked to use and I just didn't have the energy to regrind a decent gear set. Basically, the only game I played in those years.

I've also played a good amount of both Sim City 4 and Cities: Skylines, and I am very eagerly anticipating CS2 in October. Sim racing in games like Assetto Corsa, Project Cars 1/2, Assetto Corsa Competizione, Automobilista 2. GOW and GOW:R. Anything Naughty Dog, though I still haven't gotten around to TLOU2. Horizon Zero Dawn. Still need to play Forbidden West.
Back in the day, I used to play a lot of Unreal Tournament 2004, Team Fortress 2, and Left 4 Dead. I was in a gaming clan on ventrilo and everything.
While I was digging through old aim chat logs for one of my other posts that got me that historian badge I actually found this:
Screenshot 2023-07-13 at 21-16-08 Screenshot.png
So seems like your statement is accurate! But if I'm being honest I don't recall this at all lol

Reactions: Ben

Ben

Blind Guardian
Executive
GWF Sponsor
Administrator
Badministrator
GW Elder
I play games still as much as I can, once the kids are in bed. PS5 and Switch mostly, but I did get a PC again recently, after going a while without one.

Let's see; right now I'm playing Final Fantasy XVI, and Tears of the Kingdom.
I played through all the Resident Evil remakes recently, and Village. I was into Dead by Daylight got a few months. I played a lot of Ark but haven't in a few years. Kind of waiting to see whether Ark 2 would run on my machine without a new GFX card before I get excited about it.

I'll play most genres, but my real favorite are fps. And probably on PC, which I never really got back into. I've played lots on console but only a couple recently on PC. I tried getting into Destiny 2 and it's cool, but I didn't want the grind.

While I was digging through old aim chat logs for one of my other posts that got me that historian badge I actually found this:
View attachment 931
So seems like your statement is accurate! But if I'm being honest I don't recall this at all lol
Oh hey, who that guy?

Fucking AIM was a staple. I think before that everyone had been on MSN, and probably some others. Pidgin? 🤔 Then IRC of course.

Now I'm scared what you've got logs of... Historian no lie.

Last edited:

Tirith

Sad, lumpy oatmeal that used to be Xellos
GW Elder
I generally like long, story driven games (FF7 brought me into the forums to begin with). I generally play games like Ghost of Tsushima, Last of Us, FF games now. Not much into the eSports scene, but my one guilty vice there is rocket league.

And then I play American Truck Simulator, because I'm a glutton for punishment. I'm an actual truck driver (local, no overnights), so sometimes it's cathartic to fire up my sim rig and do all the things I wanted to do but legally couldn't (or morally shouldn't)

Now I'm scared what you've got logs of... Historian no lie.
Oh... uhhh... everything. Except for a period from early to mid-2004, when I had a problem with my computer that would cause it to crash on me randomly. Some of those chats got lost in time.

I figured out what the actual problem was many, many years later. I fixed it as promptly as I could, which ended up being a new motherboard. But 8 or maybe 10 years later I found out about the bad capacitor plague of the late 90s/early 2000s. I still had that old board, pulled it out, and sure enough there were a TON of burst caps on it. Was actually retroactively pretty pleased with myself for diagnosing and resolving the issue successfully without any wasted parts ordered. Even if at the time I couldn't identify the root cause.

I generally like long, story driven games (FF7 brought me into the forums to begin with). I generally play games like Ghost of Tsushima, Last of Us, FF games now. Not much into the eSports scene, but my one guilty vice there is rocket league.

And then I play American Truck Simulator, because I'm a glutton for punishment. I'm an actual truck driver (local, no overnights), so sometimes it's cathartic to fire up my sim rig and do all the things I wanted to do but legally couldn't (or morally shouldn't)
Oh yeah! I really want to play Ghost of Tsushima. Loved the Infamous games as well.

Raine

Chief Liquid Officer, Shitposting Dept.
GW Elder
I'm vehemently opposed to calling myself a gamer, but, gaming has been and will probably remain my primary hobby forever. At least until I find my white whale.

My main genre has been (J)RPG for around 25 years now, but there's very little I actively avoid. I don't do traditional sports and real-time strategy as a matter of course, and poor design/lazy development has fully pushed me away from racing and fighting games over the last couple console generations. I just can't be bothered dealing with shit like rubber banding and reading my button inputs. Everything else I'm at least open to trying.

For the last decade I've primarily been holed up in one of three MMOs - Final Fantasy XI, Final Fantasy XIV, and Phantasy Star Online 2. Still did a little gaming on the side elsewhere, but overwhelmingly my free time was pumped into those. Over the last year or so I've gone back to playing games from the PS360 era, and playing PS4/Xbone/Switch games here and there, mostly catching up on series I fell behind on like Assassin's Creed and Sonic, as well as smaller things like DeathSpank and Scott Pilgrim.

Victoria

GW Elder
I hardly game anymore - too many other things that get in the way.

I still log in to WOW a few times a week, mostly to do solo content while listening to an audiobook or a podcast. It's more to give my hands something to do while I'm concentrating on something else, than to play the actual game.

I tried FFXIV a while ago - didn't get too far, but will come back to it eventually to at least finish the main questline.

And to this day I have never finished the main storyline in Skyrim, although every 6 months or so I get the random spark of inspiration thinking "ok THIS TIME I'll do it" and create a new character that I play for maybe 5 hours before abandoning it again. ...You know what, scratch what I said about finishing the FFXIV MSQ.

That's about it.

Back
Top Bottom