• Celebrating One Year of Revival!

Come and join us in celebrating one year of GW's revival as GWF, share in some statistics and help us push towards the next twenty years! CLICK HERE

We're also looking for suggestions for another community event we can put together that we can all enjoy! Come and give us some suggestions HERE
  • Our second year of the NFL Pick 'Em is open to join now. You can join directly here and get involved in the weekly threads over in the Picks forum.

Delta (Airline) Has TVs Embedded in Every Seat

I'm traveling to Sacramento for a family function today. Instead of going for the cheapest flights available, I did a quick internet search for what people consider the best domestic airline, and Delta came up more often than not, so I booked Delta. It wasn't even that much more than AA, which tends to be the cheapest non-budget line.

I thought screens in planes were a thing of the past or only on the big planes that go cross-country. Delta has free movies, free shows, and free live TV, as well as free Wifi. Every single seat has an interactive touchscreen embedded. If every plane Delta had does this, I'm never flying AA or United again.

Edit: They give you free headphones, too. They're cheap, but like... I'll never have to bring my own if Delta does this all the time.

Because it's Thursday, I get to watch live golf. A chunk of the live TV channels are NBC affiliates, including the Golf Network, which has most tournaments live on Thursdays and Fridays.

Last edited:

Mark

Dumbass Progenitor
Administrator
GW Elder
I'm traveling to Sacramento for a family function today. Instead of going for the cheapest flights available, I did a quick internet search for what people consider the best domestic airline, and Delta came up more often than not, so I booked Delta. It wasn't even that much more than AA, which tends to be the cheapest non-budget line.

I thought screens in planes were a thing of the past or only on the big planes that go cross-country. Delta has free movies, free shows, and free live TV, as well as free Wifi. Every single seat has an interactive touchscreen embedded. If every plane Delta had does this, I'm never flying AA or United again.

Edit: They give you free headphones, too. They're cheap, but like... I'll never have to bring my own if Delta does this all the time.

Because it's Thursday, I get to watch live golf. A chunk of the live TV channels are NBC affiliates, including the Golf Network, which has most tournaments live on Thursdays and Fridays.

That’s actually pretty cool. As someone who has never flown, and gets stir crazy pretty easy if I’m stuck sitting somewhere for any extended period of time, one of my biggest concerns about flying was always being bored out of my skull. At least on road trips, you’re engaged and actively doing stuff the whole time.

Yeah most of the domestic airlines have made them a thing of the past and instead give you access to the catalogue of shows/movies/live TV through your own device. I actually prefer that because the screen is larger and better quality on my laptop (use a chromebook). Most flights I end up just watching downloaded netflix though, unless there's a movie available that I've been wanting to see.

Yeah most of the domestic airlines have made them a thing of the past and instead give you access to the catalogue of shows/movies/live TV through your own device. I actually prefer that because the screen is larger and better quality on my laptop (use a chromebook). Most flights I end up just watching downloaded netflix though, unless there's a movie available that I've been wanting to see.
I get that, but for AA, I ended up having to pay for access to their wifi and whatnot. And their wifi goes bye bye when you cross over an ocean. Plus, it means I can take less equipment with me on trips.

I get that, but for AA, I ended up having to pay for access to their wifi and whatnot. And their wifi goes bye bye when you cross over an ocean. Plus, it means I can take less equipment with me on trips.
Isn't streaming their own content free? Or are you talking about general wi-fi?

I think for smaller planes they are going the way of the dodo. It's an easy cost-cutting exercise. For international it will probably stick around for a while yet, not least for technical reasons.

Isn't streaming their own content free? Or are you talking about general wi-fi?

I think for smaller planes they are going the way of the dodo. It's an easy cost-cutting exercise. For international it will probably stick around for a while yet, not least for technical reasons.
Typically yes, they have it set up that their own content is free and general WiFi outside of that costs money.

Back
Top Bottom