• Celebrating One Year of Revival!

Come and join us in celebrating one year of GW's revival as GWF, share in some statistics and help us push towards the next twenty years! CLICK HERE

We're also looking for suggestions for another community event we can put together that we can all enjoy! Come and give us some suggestions HERE
  • Our second year of the NFL Pick 'Em is open to join now. You can join directly here and get involved in the weekly threads over in the Picks forum.

Board Chess

Do you play? What's your Elo? What openings do you employ?
I used to play with my dad when I was little. I haven't played in a long time, I feel like I've forgotten how some of the rules work (like castling?) Sometimes I think about getting into it. I never studied openings or anything like that, only playing what came to me during the game. Queen's Gambit did make it all seem pretty interesting though. Is it as interesting as it sounds? For as much as I looove researching and going down internet rabbit holes, my ADHD makes studying and, especially, memorizing an agonizing experience. How would you suggest someone like me who can't memorize gets into more advanced things like learning openings?

Ryan!

Mew is a fkn cat
GW Elder
I used to play with my dad when I was little. I haven't played in a long time, I feel like I've forgotten how some of the rules work (like castling?) Sometimes I think about getting into it. I never studied openings or anything like that, only playing what came to me during the game. Queen's Gambit did make it all seem pretty interesting though. Is it as interesting as it sounds? For as much as I looove researching and going down internet rabbit holes, my ADHD makes studying and, especially, memorizing an agonizing experience. How would you suggest someone like me who can't memorize gets into more advanced things like learning openings?
Some openings are pretty automatic. The London as white comes to mind. But in certain scenarios, you do have to memorize how to react to a specific move in a given opening sequence. Again, in the London when they play C5 you automatically play C3 unless it creates an attack on you or leaves you vulnerable. But if that instance you're attempting to form a pyramid and should be well protected.

Queen's Gambit is solid. I play a lot of Vienna and the Vienna Gambit as white assuming I get an E5 response from black. As Black on E4 openings I almost always play the Caro Kann. When faced with the London itself I usually try either the Modern of French Defense to varying results. I'm only like high 1800 low 1900, so still very much in the high intermediate level.

Some openings are pretty automatic. The London as white comes to mind. But in certain scenarios, you do have to memorize how to react to a specific move in a given opening sequence. Again, in the London when they play C5 you automatically play C3 unless it creates an attack on you or leaves you vulnerable. But if that instance you're attempting to form a pyramid and should be well protected.

Queen's Gambit is solid. I play a lot of Vienna and the Vienna Gambit as white assuming I get an E5 response from black. As Black on E4 openings I almost always play the Caro Kann. When faced with the London itself I usually try either the Modern of French Defense to varying results. I'm only like high 1800 low 1900, so still very much in the high intermediate level.
If I’m white and they go caro I pretty much always go advance version. Vienna I don’t know that we’ll but I know it can be trappy so I stick my knight on f6 and develop from there.

Ryan!

Mew is a fkn cat
GW Elder
No idea what my ELO is. I'm like 1500 in chess.com blitz. I play Spanish for white because it's basically impossible to make a mistake in the opening but want to branch out.
Gothamchess on YouTube has a bunch of great series covering openings for white and black. His Vienna and Panziani videos in particular are pretty great. I laugh my ass off because Panziani is considered a lower elo beginner opening and yet it can be used to crush IMs.

Gothamchess on YouTube has a bunch of great series covering openings for white and black. His Vienna and Panziani videos in particular are pretty great. I laugh my ass off because Panziani is considered a lower elo beginner opening and yet it can be used to crush IMs.
I play the Albin all the time against the Queens gambit despite having the same reputation. Works great. Sometimes people even fall into the Lasker trap.

Ryan!

Mew is a fkn cat
GW Elder
Queen's Gambit can throw players off, but if they're solid it can be countered. It gives you a lot of attacking potential and immediately throws people off, but black still has options. My favorite gambit is probably Englund or Vienna

Cole

Coleministrator
S-Mod
GW Elder
I used to play chess with Dark Beta X from GameWinners back in the day. I'm not amazing at it. I don't know any of the names strategies or openings. I just do stuff and plan stuff.

Back
Top Bottom