• Celebrating One Year of Revival!

Come and join us in celebrating one year of GW's revival as GWF, share in some statistics and help us push towards the next twenty years! CLICK HERE

We're also looking for suggestions for another community event we can put together that we can all enjoy! Come and give us some suggestions HERE
  • Our second year of the NFL Pick 'Em is open to join now. You can join directly here and get involved in the weekly threads over in the Picks forum.

Car Batteries...

Crystal

Formerly Apollo
Administrator
GW Elder
When the fuck did batteries become so expensive?!?

The battery in my Rogue Sport died yesterday and won't hold any charge at all, the cheapest I can find is $160, with an average of $250 being the norm for a new one. I can't afford that, so, yay...but also, WHY!? Frustrating!

shortkut

idea man
Cuterator
10K Post Club
Executive
GW Elder

The battery in my Rogue Sport died yesterday and won't hold any charge at all, the cheapest I can find is $160, with an average of $250 being the norm for a new one. I can't afford that, so, yay...but also, WHY!? Frustrating!
This one at least has a coupon

Mine is at Costco for 124 and then I get 15 back with my old one

Shop around and good luck! It is frustrating

Crystal

Formerly Apollo
Administrator
GW Elder
This one at least has a coupon
And financing...hmm...if I hadn't destroyed my credit over these past few years I might consider that. Need to save my pennies to get close, but I'll keep my eyes on that one! Merci beaucoup!

Mine is at Costco for 124 and then I get 15 back with my old one

Shop around and good luck! It is frustrating
Costco, I keep forgetting them. Have to give them a look, thanks!

Incredibly frustrating, lol, been trying every parts store, walmart, batteries plus...all insanely priced.

Mark

Dumbass Progenitor
Administrator
GW Elder
Are recharged batteries an option out there? I know some places have environmental issues with draining and recharging batteries, but I know quite a few people that have been saved by purchasing a used battery. It obviously won’t have the same life expectancy and likely won’t come with a warranty beyond a “guaranteed to work”, but… I look at used batteries like used tires, when you’re in a bind, you gotta do what you gotta do to make it til you can get a brand new one. It’s not ideal to throw away money for a battery that’ll last a year or two tops, but it’s a band-aid to buy some more time.

Crystal

Formerly Apollo
Administrator
GW Elder
Are recharged batteries an option out there? I know some places have environmental issues with draining and recharging batteries, but I know quite a few people that have been saved by purchasing a used battery. It obviously won’t have the same life expectancy and likely won’t come with a warranty beyond a “guaranteed to work”, but… I look at used batteries like used tires, when you’re in a bind, you gotta do what you gotta do to make it til you can get a brand new one. It’s not ideal to throw away money for a battery that’ll last a year or two tops, but it’s a band-aid to buy some more time.
First thing I tried. There's a stretch in downtown Phoenix on Broadway ave that's known as a bit of a car haven for pickers and deals and such...no love there. The shops around here that offer used batteries have nothing in stock right now or no longer offer them. Can't find a damn thing.

Mark

Dumbass Progenitor
Administrator
GW Elder
First thing I tried. There's a stretch in downtown Phoenix on Broadway ave that's known as a bit of a car haven for pickers and deals and such...no love there. The shops around here that offer used batteries have nothing in stock right now or no longer offer them. Can't find a damn thing.

Fuck. The next best thing I can think of is one of those places that’ll give you credit for your old battery, that helps knock some off of the price. Couple that with another coupon, you might be in good shape. I’ve heard of people using Groupon and similar programs to get pretty decent discounts on batteries, tires, wiper blades, etc. I personally haven’t used anything like that, but that’s because most of the time… I’ve found myself in the same position as you where you don’t necessarily have a lot of time to play around with.

Crystal

Formerly Apollo
Administrator
GW Elder
Fuck. The next best thing I can think of is one of those places that’ll give you credit for your old battery, that helps knock some off of the price. Couple that with another coupon, you might be in good shape. I’ve heard of people using Groupon and similar programs to get pretty decent discounts on batteries, tires, wiper blades, etc. I personally haven’t used anything like that, but that’s because most of the time… I’ve found myself in the same position as you where you don’t necessarily have a lot of time to play around with.
Yep, looking at every option I can find. So far no love at all. I'll keep scouring, I did find a couple will give me 25 bucks for the dead one, so that helps a bit, but those ones are also the ones charging 259, so...
When I needed a new battery for my Subaru (RIP) I had it at the dealer for another issue and they only charged $60 for the battery. I was surprised it was so cheap. Have you tried contacting a Nissan dealer to see their price?
I assumed the dealership would be the most expensive option, but that's worth a look. Though I wonder if maybe they did that because of the other work being done?

shortkut

idea man
Cuterator
10K Post Club
Executive
GW Elder
I assumed the dealership would be the most expensive option, but that's worth a look. Though I wonder if maybe they did that because of the other work being done?
I honestly have no idea, but at this point it’s worth a shot to just call and ask the price for a battery with or without installation

BlackAvatar400

I feel ya there. Everything is getting expensive nowadays and I keep hearing people say how it's Biden's fault and what not, but I know the feeling when it comes to expenses. It's very frustrating. If it ain't one thing, it's another. You pay for something or fix something, and then you turn around and something else comes up. It's like no matter what you do, you can't catch a break. I just went broke a couple weeks back when I had to replace the fuel pump in my car when my car shut off on me in the middle of the highway. Talk about embarrassing. The mechanic only charged me $150 on the labor, but the part was ridiculously expensive for over $200. I saw this ad on YouTube about this device called EcoFix. It's something you plug under your dashboard and link it to the app it uses to diagnose what problem, and/or problems your car has without getting ripped off by mechanics. A simple fix for something that would cost $75 versus paying $2000 for what the mechanic would charge to use an example. Don't know if something like that would be legit or if it would be something that works, but I was definitely thinking about taking a look into it...

Crystal

Formerly Apollo
Administrator
GW Elder
I feel ya there. Everything is getting expensive nowadays and I keep hearing people say how it's Biden's fault and what not, but I know the feeling when it comes to expenses. It's very frustrating. If it ain't one thing, it's another. You pay for something or fix something, and then you turn around and something else comes up. It's like no matter what you do, you can't catch a break. I just went broke a couple weeks back when I had to replace the fuel pump in my car when my car shut off on me in the middle of the highway. Talk about embarrassing. The mechanic only charged me $150 on the labor, but the part was ridiculously expensive for over $200. I saw this ad on YouTube about this device called EcoFix. It's something you plug under your dashboard and link it to the app it uses to diagnose what problem, and/or problems your car has without getting ripped off by mechanics. A simple fix for something that would cost $75 versus paying $2000 for what the mechanic would charge to use an example. Don't know if something like that would be legit or if it would be something that works, but I was definitely thinking about taking a look into it...
Yeah, for every honest mechanic out there it definitely feels like there are plenty of dishonest ones. Not sure about the EcoFix, it could be a very handy tool to have!

It also sucks that the sun murders our batteries. Feel like I need a new one every summer.
As a Floridian, I concur.

The price of everything has increased by what? Up to 40% for most goods and services the last 30 years? And pay has gone up by something like 10% in the same time.

I'm making all these numbers up, like most statistics are. But they sound accurate.

As a Floridian, I concur.

The price of everything has increased by what? Up to 40% for most goods and services the last 30 years? And pay has gone up by something like 10% in the same time.

I'm making all these numbers up, like most statistics are. But they sound accurate.

So, I find two things with that amusing.

1) I promise there aren't that many average people in Florida making 65k a year.
2) I find it hard to believe income has gone up 30%.

But sure, stats I made up are in fact made up. :link

Back
Top Bottom