• Celebrating One Year of Revival!

Come and join us in celebrating one year of GW's revival as GWF, share in some statistics and help us push towards the next twenty years! CLICK HERE

We're also looking for suggestions for another community event we can put together that we can all enjoy! Come and give us some suggestions HERE
  • Our second year of the NFL Pick 'Em is open to join now. You can join directly here and get involved in the weekly threads over in the Picks forum.

Bugs bug me.

Ben

Blind Guardian
Executive
GWF Sponsor
Administrator
Badministrator
GW Elder
Summer is here, and that means the resurgence of insect bastards who don't have the good grace to die on their own.

About a year or two ago, though, I found what I'd assumed to be a pretty gimmicky item but that I have found to be really frigging useful...

The Bug-A-Salt.

IMG20240428134917.jpg

Essentially it works like a Nerf-gun by compressing air when you pump the grip back, but instead of foam darts, it loads in a small amount of plain table salt from the hopper on top. It then shotguns the salt out with some pretty good force, and it's been incredibly effective against everything I've used it on. I'd guess in depending on the size of the fly, it's comparative to me getting shot with a BB or a marble. Both would fucking hurt.

There's also something cathartic about nailing a fly on a window from 8 feet away. I've only been able to hit them in-flight a couple of times, but that's generally not worth the risk of taking a quick shot without knowing exactly what's in the line of fire. The biggest issue I've had is my kids occasionally telling people I kill bugs with a gun, but this is America, so I don't think anyone's that shocked...

The only real negative I've found to it is the look my wife gives me when she hears 500 grains of salt bounce off the glass and go skittering into the corners of the room. Even worse when you apply zombie rules and go for the double-tap.

I have one of those electric-rechargable rackets, too, but it gets way less use. Unless it's a big house-fly going back and forth across the room, then I'll generally dual-wield the bug-a-salt in my right and the racket in my left for if I catch it flying past me. :pistols

They do sell a CO2​ powered version, that comes with pre-packed salt in little loadable revolver rings like those cap-guns used to come with, but they won't ship them to New York addresses and I don't care enough to get one shipped through another state. They advertise those as being better for hard-carapace bugs like hornets, though. I've avoided even trying to shoot wasps or anything of the sort with my regular pump-action one, as while I'm sure I could fuck up their wings and ground them, the chance of missing and pissing it off seems less than ideal.

Though I kind of gimped my hunting stock by putting up a big bug-zapper on the wall in my downstairs bathroom. Half the time, anything that does get into the house will go investigate the UV light and fall prey to my passive defenses. Honestly 100% worth the investment, as last summer we had some wasps coming into that bathroom through the baseboards and they'd just fly straight up to that and fry themselves, without ever bothering us in the house. It puts out a mighty crack though when something discharges it, so my daughter tends to want it turned off when she goes to use the bathroom, for which I can't entirely blame her. That'll scare the shit out of you.

I'm fighting a war with wasps and yellow jackets. They keep wanting to build nests in my porch roof. I can hear their incessant buzzing from inside and they must be destroyed. I thought the birds shitting everywhere was bad enough.

I really dislike that there's no effective wasp/yellow jacket trap. The one I did get didn't catch any, so I assume it's useless.

Do bug zappers work on wasps and yellow jackets outside?

shortkut

idea man
Cuterator
10K Post Club
Executive
GW Elder
I'm fighting a war with wasps and yellow jackets. They keep wanting to build nests in my porch roof. I can hear their incessant buzzing from inside and they must be destroyed. I thought the birds shitting everywhere was bad enough.

I really dislike that there's no effective wasp/yellow jacket trap. The one I did get didn't catch any, so I assume it's useless.

Just contact Orkin or similar and have them use the powder/dust that kills them

Mark

Dumbass Progenitor
Administrator
GW Elder

I’ve heard of people putting Irish Spring bar soap outside around where they have a problem with nests when other methods fail. I can’t vouch for the efficacy of it, but your porch will smell nice.

I’ve heard of people putting Irish Spring bar soap outside around where they have a problem with nests when other methods fail. I can’t vouch for the efficacy of it, but your porch will smell nice.
Apparently if I spay areas with essential oils and plant peppermint, it deters wasps and the like. Might be pretty simple. I can probably do the Irish Spring thing, too.

Just contact Orkin or similar and have them use the powder/dust that kills them
I would honestly prefer not to pay someone to do something I should realistically be able to do myself.

Mark

Dumbass Progenitor
Administrator
GW Elder
We have the Bug-a-salt too! Also yes we've been shot with it 😆

No thanks. Railroad cops around the city used to shoot us with 12ga rounds loaded with rock salt as teens. I’m good. Ain’t nothing like picking rock salt out of a wound.

Apparently if I spay areas with essential oils and plant peppermint, it deters wasps and the like. Might be pretty simple. I can probably do the Irish Spring thing, too.

Peppermint oil is the other one I was trying to remember. Also, ammonia does well for rodents like groundhogs and such. I’m learning all kinds of stuff being in an area with actual wildlife and not wild life.

I would honestly prefer not to pay someone to do something I should realistically be able to do myself.

I can respect that. I’ve known a few Orkin and Terminex employees, mostly all of what they use can be purchased from either a pest control supplier or garden store. They have some proprietary chemicals, but nothing you can’t replicate yourself.

shortkut

idea man
Cuterator
10K Post Club
Executive
GW Elder
can respect that. I’ve known a few Orkin and Terminex employees, mostly all of what they use can be purchased from either a pest control supplier or garden store. They have some proprietary chemicals, but nothing you can’t replicate yourself.
Yeah but after how many attempts do you give up and call someone who knows what they’re doing?

Ben

Blind Guardian
Executive
GWF Sponsor
Administrator
Badministrator
GW Elder
We have the Bug-a-salt too! Also yes we've been shot with it 😆
Blaming Spider-Man GIF

I gave myself a glancing shot on the back of the hand from a foot or so away, and it was immediate red welts. I can imagine a direct hit would hurt like a mother fucker.

No thanks. Railroad cops around the city used to shoot us with 12ga rounds loaded with rock salt as teens. I’m good. Ain’t nothing like picking rock salt out of a wound.
Railroad cops be like:
Sam And Dean GIF

Mark

Dumbass Progenitor
Administrator
GW Elder
Railroad cops be like:
Sam And Dean GIF

Dude, those fuckers were merciless to a bunch of teens on bicycles. All we used the tracks for was cutting the travel time between areas down, but that was apparently a big no-no.

Yeah but after how many attempts do you give up and call someone who knows what they’re doing?

Well, considering the fees those guys charge for what you or I could do in the same amount of time? I’m with Fool’s on this one, why pay someone to do what he can? If we’re talking termite infestation or something major, then yeah, it’s worth contracting a service for it. If it’s something like wasps isolated to a portion of your porch because of generations repeating the same nest-building strategy… that’s much easier for an individual to deal with, it’s just a matter of figuring out the right method.

shortkut

idea man
Cuterator
10K Post Club
Executive
GW Elder
Dude, those fuckers were merciless to a bunch of teens on bicycles. All we used the tracks for was cutting the travel time between areas down, but that was apparently a big no-no.

Well, considering the fees those guys charge for what you or I could do in the same amount of time? I’m with Fool’s on this one, why pay someone to do what he can? If we’re talking termite infestation or something major, then yeah, it’s worth contracting a service for it. If it’s something like wasps isolated to a portion of your porch because of generations repeating the same nest-building strategy… that’s much easier for an individual to deal with, it’s just a matter of figuring out the right method.
It can be done for around 200, and if there are multiple nests and stuff, having it dealt with in one visit sounds pretty good. It’s hard to judge from how fools described it. The nests keep coming back and there have been multiple nests. I wouldn’t suggest it for a single nest each year, but the powder and a trap or two will cost about half what a professional would charge

Ben

Blind Guardian
Executive
GWF Sponsor
Administrator
Badministrator
GW Elder
America.

There was a park in my village they demanded no one ride bikes through, so every kid would just stand on one pedal and coast down the hill, like no one would notice if you weren't actively pedaling your legs... But England also only deploys stern admonishments, not buckshot.

Mark

Dumbass Progenitor
Administrator
GW Elder
It can be done for around 200, and if there are multiple nests and stuff, having it dealt with in one visit sounds pretty good. It’s hard to judge from how fools described it. The nests keep coming back and there have been multiple nests. I wouldn’t suggest it for a single nest each year, but the powder and a trap or two will cost about half what a professional would charge

That’s the thing with most of those pest control companies, more and more they’re steering away from flat fee services and trying to get customers on service schedules. Even if they advertise single visit services, they’re trained to sell you on the service schedule.

America.

There was a park in my village they demanded no one ride bikes through, so every kid would just stand on one pedal and coast down the hill, like no one would notice if you weren't actively pedaling your legs... But England also only deploys stern admonishments, not buckshot.

The thing that always tripped me out was they would shoot first… not once were we warned or ID’ed to show we were minors, nothing.

• Hmm
Reactions: Ben

Ben

Blind Guardian
Executive
GWF Sponsor
Administrator
Badministrator
GW Elder
The thing that always tripped me out was they would shoot first… not once were we warned or ID’ed to show we were minors, nothing.
My guess is they assumed you couldn't prove shit and there was plausible deniability over it just looking like you'd fallen off your bike onto gravel. Also, they were probably cunts.

Found an older clip from screwing with slowmo on my phone. Those grains bounce a looooooot more than I'd expect.

1000007182.gif

Mark

Dumbass Progenitor
Administrator
GW Elder
My guess is they assumed you couldn't prove shit and there was plausible deniability over it just looking like you'd fallen off your bike onto gravel. Also, they were probably cunts.

Found an older clip from screwing with slowmo on my phone. Those grains bounce a looooooot more than I'd expect.

View attachment 17328

Love the fact that you had to use a popper for the Michael Bay effects.

• This is the Way
Reactions: Ben

Gloom-is-good

2.5 raccoons in a trench coat
GW Elder
Blaming Spider-Man GIF

I gave myself a glancing shot on the back of the hand from a foot or so away, and it was immediate red welts. I can imagine a direct hit would hurt like a mother fucker.
Oh no I definitely didn't get a shot that close! Why would you hurt yourself like that? Lol We definitely gave each other a couple of feet. I think I chose the back of my calf. It was a good half hour of entertainment for us at game night.

Ben

Blind Guardian
Executive
GWF Sponsor
Administrator
Badministrator
GW Elder
Oh no I definitely didn't get a shot that close! Why would you hurt yourself like that? Lol We definitely gave each other a couple of feet. I think I chose the back of my calf. It was a good half hour of entertainment for us at game night.
It was probably a "how bad could this really hurt?" thought.

Tom Hanks Dipshit GIF

It's hard to require parental supervision when you're the parent.

Mark

Dumbass Progenitor
Administrator
GW Elder
Oh no I definitely didn't get a shot that close! Why would you hurt yourself like that?

This is one of those questions that are easily answered with the phrase: “White people.”

It was probably a "how bad could this really hurt?" thought.

Tom Hanks Dipshit GIF

It's hard to require parental supervision when you're the parent.

Reminds me of the ol’ “find the taser” game we used to play at work with the new guys. It was incredibly common to find tasers in cars, especially women’s vehicles, so the first one to find the taser would conceal it and shock the other. Fun times.

Back
Top Bottom