• Celebrating One Year of Revival!

Come and join us in celebrating one year of GW's revival as GWF, share in some statistics and help us push towards the next twenty years! CLICK HERE

We're also looking for suggestions for another community event we can put together that we can all enjoy! Come and give us some suggestions HERE
  • Our second year of the NFL Pick 'Em is open to join now. You can join directly here and get involved in the weekly threads over in the Picks forum.

Movies Barbie movie

aiat_gamer

GW Elder
So apprently this movie is actually legit, getting very good reviews left and right. From what I gatheres the movie is pretty seflaware and even goes into the consumerism aspect of the dolls and such. I have to say, this was the most surprising thing I have encountered lately, did not expect a movie based on freaking Barbie doll to be actually deep and good!

Last edited:

Holly

Resident of the GWF Retirement Home
GW Elder
it was actually surprisingly good.

and the best part was how mad it probably made all the shitty right wing nutjobs.

I went to see it with my mom and my daughter. My mom is a very traditional conservative Christian. She enjoyed the movie, but said she didn't like everything that was said. She didn't specify what that was, but I would guess it was the monologue. She knows I'm left of where she is, so there's a "don't talk about politics/conservative issues" unspoken agreement in place.

Cole

Coleministrator
S-Mod
GW Elder
I went to see it with my mom and my daughter. My mom is a very traditional conservative Christian. She enjoyed the movie, but said she didn't like everything that was said. She didn't specify what that was, but I would guess it was the monologue. She knows I'm left of where she is, so there's a "don't talk about politics/conservative issues" unspoken agreement in place.
sounds like your mom is at least able to look at it rationally. still enjoy it even if she doesn't like some of the message.

unfortunately that's not true for the majority of the far right

War Attack GIF by INTO ACTION

Kat

Orangekat, not Aphrodite
Kat
GWF Sponsor
GW Elder
Apprently I will be living the meme after all. We we be watching Barbie and Oppenheimer back to back in a few days, should be fun!
Oof. Oppenheimer is so long and emotionally draining.

I saw Barbie and enjoyed it, too. I'm surprised Mattel would let their product be presented in that way, but I bet it's worked out well for them. I feel like anyone upset about the message either benefit from current inequities or are missing the point.

TD

ES COO Shitposting Dept. of GWF
10K Post Club
Executive
GW Elder
I watched Barbie last night.

It was... not at all what I expected but I'd say overall I enjoyed it.

It was a very strange movie with a mix of funnies and what seemed to be tackling some genuine societel issues.

Back
Top Bottom