• Celebrating One Year of Revival!

Come and join us in celebrating one year of GW's revival as GWF, share in some statistics and help us push towards the next twenty years! CLICK HERE

We're also looking for suggestions for another community event we can put together that we can all enjoy! Come and give us some suggestions HERE
  • Our second year of the NFL Pick 'Em is open to join now. You can join directly here and get involved in the weekly threads over in the Picks forum.

Ads for mobile games annoy me so much more than they should

My son has a game he loves to play on his iPad

There are ways to unlock more cars and courses, but quickest way is gold which is earned by watching ads or paying money.

I refuse to be suckered into Mico transactions so when he's asleep or not during ipad time I will watch ads. Now I don't pay close attention and am always going something else, BUT these damn ads the players are extremely incompetent.

I get that that is probably part of the strategy to show people hey look at this, how easy you could do this and how much better you could do this, but it just frustrates me seeing these games played so inefficiently, sort of like someone going to google.com and then typing and the website's address they want to go to

Dead2009

Horror Movie Guru
Sadly that's the only way mobile games will forever be able to survive is by throwing endless ads at us.

The ads in free mobile games are INSANE, in my opinion worse than they used to be in the early days of smartphones. I got Apple Arcade for this reason - never any ads and the games are made well enough to not need them.

I've found that crazygames.com also solves this frustration for me. Anytime there is a moment to "watch ad for X", you can click it and the page goes "this one's on us!" without showing an ad - every single time. I've never seen one ad on this website - likely because I have uBlock installed, but it's pretty cool that I can play a lot of mobile games on the PC browser without worrying about ads, while receiving the benefits of "watching an ad". I've played almost every clicker and idle game on there, or at least tried for a minute lol.

Sadly that's the only way mobile games will forever be able to survive is by throwing endless ads at us.

It's not even the ads existing that drive me nuts sadly, it is the how badly the demo is played, so many obvious poor moves
- likely because I have uBlock installed

I hate watching Hulu on our roku, I get no ads on my computer

Yep. They're also usually the same five ads over and over and over. It's hard to imagine the advertiser is getting any value out of that.

The whole idea of showing ads to people who refuse to spend any money also seems backwards to me. Yeah, those other games will also make money by selling ads, but if the player never spends any money on any game, then the game owners are just giving each other money to advertise without ever making anything from the target.

I mean, it must be profitable or they wouldn't do it, but I don't see how.

Even when I find a game I enjoy, if I can't pay extra to skip ads I eventually just stop playing altogether.
Same. I don't understand why games like that even exist. I won't watch ads, but I will pay for the game if it's good. Just let me pay!

Yep. They're also usually the same five ads over and over and over. It's hard to imagine the advertiser is getting any value out of that.
pluto tv and tubi have been godsends but this is what drives me insane about them lmao. if i see that goddamn dawn commercial again with the ducks i'm gonna punt those little oil-covered shits. the wife and i have taken to muting during commercials to retain our sanity

TD

ES COO Shitposting Dept. of GWF
10K Post Club
Executive
GW Elder
It's not even the ads existing that drive me nuts sadly, it is the how badly the demo is played, so many obvious poor moves
I feel like this is intentional... it's to get your attention to be like "wow that was dumb, I can do better than that", and it works.

I stopped playing mobile games a long time ago, the structure of them just isn't for me - for many reasons.

The only microtransactions on mobile games I ever paid for were the ones that net you double in-game currency forever. Beach Buggy Blitz and Jet Pack Joyride for example. Games that required me to buy things just to keep playing or watch a bunch of ads got discarded quick like. I am fine with being given the option to watch ads to acquire more currency but only of the currency can still be earned playing and the currency is just for things that you can unlock while playing, not something required to keep playing.

All of the ads were trash. I'd watch the Kate Upton ads all day, though. Even if the game the ads were for was not represented in the ads at all.

I feel like this is intentional... it's to get your attention to be like "wow that was dumb, I can do better than that", and it works.

I stopped playing mobile games a long time ago, the structure of them just isn't for me - for many reasons.
Oh I know it's intentional and it bugs me so much more than it should 🤣

I've seen that video. I've also only recently seen those type of ads. I pay for YT premium just so I don't have to watch ads for every single video no matter how short or how long.

I find it funny that people would actually want to play those games that are seen in the ads. They look like they would get old super quick, like most endless runner type games.

I find it funny that people would actually want to play those games that are seen in the ads. They look like they would get old super quick, like most endless runner type games.

I actually have seen that one and another similar and I did want to pick it up and try it out, just something if I had a couple minutes to kill, an actual endless runner where I might have to use a little forethought for what I want to go for, but of course it wasnt the game advertised and they all seem to have a bunch of shitty resource management and builder elements

The exorbitant and insiduous ads in mobile games is what's basically driven me from the platform, and I'm not sure I'm missing out.

On top of Apple Arcade, Netflix have some decent games if you're a subscriber. The 3D GTA trilogy, Oxenfree, Kentucky Route Zero, Sonic Mania, The Case of the Golden Idol, Braid, Football Manager, Immortality and Into the Breach are some of the good ones that I've actually played.

The exorbitant and insiduous ads in mobile games is what's basically driven me from the platform, and I'm not sure I'm missing out.

On top of Apple Arcade, Netflix have some decent games if you're a subscriber. The 3D GTA trilogy, Oxenfree, Kentucky Route Zero, Sonic Mania, The Case of the Golden Idol, Braid, Football Manager, Immortality and Into the Breach are some of the good ones that I've actually played.

I do want to play case of golden idol! Good to know

Back
Top Bottom